Ripper Street

Started by Gusington, January 19, 2013, 06:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

OK so Copper wasn't all that and a bag of chips. But Ripper Street is another good attempt, on tonight on BBC America at 9pm EST. Anyone watching it besides me and The Wife?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Took a quick look but just couldn't get into it - might have another bash at it though. I really like that period setting.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

You slay me Bob. I was all excited too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

lol - Oh Gus, don't take my poor opinion on it - I really am not a great TV watcher by any means. I pretty much stick to SciFi and Military History stuff, and Mrs.B spends even less time watching TV than me.

I've either got a board game set up, or I'm in front of my PC - and you know what? I think I spend more time here than I do playing games.

...er, where was I?

Aye - Gus, watch it, and if you like it, I'll give it a try  ;)

(I just know that someone is going to pervert that last comment - evil bas*ards)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

I put it on at midnight and promptly passed out :/

The couple of minutes I saw were hard to follow but the costumes and sets looked purty.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Still early to make a call on the show.
Mostly good, typical Victorian police procedural, with a hint of Jack in the background (where DID he go?)
The only kind of false note is one the main characters is an american police detective.  Is BBC catering to their overseas audience?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

They've just 'BBC America'- proofed it, is all.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I will try again this weekend, earlier this time.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

I liked it a lot, especially the episode when ex-soldiers tried to rob the mint.
Jim Cobb

Silent Disapproval Robot

I wasn't too keen on it at first (I blame the lameness that was Copper) but I really got into it and very much enjoyed it.

Gusington

Yeah I was ultimately disappointed in Copper. Ripper Street is worth getting back into then eh?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Anyone else still watching Ripper Street? Season 3 just started on Space in Canada last week and on BBC America last month. I'm finding just as good as the previous seasons.

I also read that Amazon renewed the show for two more seasons.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Silent Disapproval Robot

I really enjoyed season 1 and thought season 2 was decent but not as good as 1.  I've watched the first 4 episodes of season 3 but just can't get into it.