IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 09, 2018, 03:18:22 PM
I bought the P-40E-1 and Fw 190 A-3 but in game they are showing as locked. Do these things not unlock automatically through Steam?

Nevermind - you do have to activate them on their system.

What a crap system. Buy on Steam, get key, sorted. Nope...go to external website and log purchase. Also, when starting game, ignore Steam security and implement crap, slow third party DRM.

I thought we were leaving that shit behind.

I've had no such problem with the IL-2 system. I bought everything through their store and my keys were instantly validated to my account with all aircraft unlocked in game. Weird.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 09, 2018, 03:27:27 PM
I bought the P-40E-1 and Fw 190 A-3 but in game they are showing as locked. Do these things not unlock automatically through Steam?

What a crap system. Buy on Steam, get key, sorted. Nope...go to external website and log purchase. Also, when starting game, ignore Steam security and implement crap, slow third party DRM.

I've had no such problem with the IL-2 system. I bought everything through their store and my keys were instantly validated to my account with all aircraft unlocked in game. Weird.
I presume it's because I bought through Steam.

My main point is why have 2 DRM systems anyway. When I buy DLC for an Ubisoft game, I don't have to go to Ubisoft's website and activate it (thought it does load their client).
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

I have always assumed the dueling activation systems are because of the way they release content in early access and the way the game started out.  But just an assumption.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 09, 2018, 04:10:23 PM

My main point is why have 2 DRM systems anyway. When I buy DLC for an Ubisoft game, I don't have to go to Ubisoft's website and activate it (thought it does load their client).

It is due to picking it up on Steam.

I just happened to pull the trigger at a time when Steam had a small sale on BoS a couple years ago.  Seems there are extra hoops to go through now that the publisher stopped selling their newer stuff in the Steam store.  :-\

That's what I was asking the questions about a couple pages back.  The new  Battle Of Kuban, and it's DLC planes (La-5FN  :smitten: ) are only being sold on their IL-2 site.  No more Steam for you!   :P  So we're gonna have to mish-mash the codes into the client activation.

Skoop

I bought the original EA of BOS way back in 2014 when there was just the Lagg, 109, and IL2 to fly.  Then into the BOM era, 2016, I had to do a reinstall of the game due to a system reformat.  I figured I would use the opportunity to convert all my account over to steam and did so with out a hassle.

When Kuban was announced, I bought the early access because I like getting the planes and testing them out while the module is being working on rather than wait a year for the whole package. 

I bought the Kuban on the 777 site, and it automatically activated Kuban in my steam account.  It was seamless. 

You shouldn't have to maintain 2 clients for IL2, I know when I switched there was some fine print saying switching to steam is ok...it's all or none,  theres is no switching back from steam.

You should be able to buy the Kuban content at 777 and it should activate into your steam account if thats how your game is running.  Thats how it worked for me.

JudgeDredd

I'm almost done with flight simming tbh. There's alot of weird shit happening on my system when I unplug my X-52.
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 09, 2018, 04:10:23 PM

If you have transfered the Steam keys to the website the game will run without the need for Steam to run (removing one of the two DRM).

mbar

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 08, 2018, 11:30:43 PM
The P-40 feels like it weighs a ton.  I get the sensation that I'm about to fall out of the sky at any moment when I fly that beast.  For me, the fighter I enjoy flying the most is the Macchi 202.  I don't like fighting in it so much as the guns are weak but flying in it is an absolute blast.

I had been flying quick missions with the LaGG-3. I tried the P-40 last night. I pulled back gently on the stick and nothing seemed to happen. I thought maybe I'd lost my joystick config so I yanked back on the stick and then the P-40 began to climb. I'd mistakenly thought the LaGG-3 might be similar to the P-40 in performance. I just looked at a Wikipedia of both planes. They only look similar.  :) ;D

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 10, 2018, 12:45:02 AM
I'm almost done with flight simming tbh. There's alot of weird shit happening on my system when I unplug my X-52.

I heard, from an X-52 user, that there have been wiring problems developing with them over time.  Causing issues in the X-52.

Can't recall if it was some bad cold-soldering or what.  Just that people were having to get new HOTASes because the wiring in their X-52s were shorting out or some shit. 

Maybe it's just your X-52's wiring screwing up, too?

Skoop

So I started a Russian LA5FN Campaign as Commander and it seems to have curtailed some of the tactical stupidity of friendly AI.  I can't say they execute my commands perfectly, but atleast it keeps them nearby during the furball instead of chasing the enemy off a hundred miles and ending up dead.

I've done 5 missions now with no plane or pilot losses.  I also pick their load outs, fuel, and skins.  I even do it for the missions I don't fly on.

Having 65% fuel must really help those AI Lagg drivers when taking on 109s.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on April 10, 2018, 03:16:14 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 10, 2018, 12:45:02 AM

I heard, from an X-52 user, that there have been wiring problems developing with them over time.  Causing issues in the X-52.

Can't recall if it was some bad cold-soldering or what.  Just that people were having to get new HOTASes because the wiring in their X-52s were shorting out or some shit. 

Maybe it's just your X-52's wiring screwing up, too?

Thanks Nef - I've  posted here http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=21911.new#new to stop taking this thread off topic.
Alba gu' brath

Stryker07

The issue I have with my X52 was the connection between the throttle and joystick. All of a sudden the joystick stopped working, it would flash the lights but that was it. Saitek gave me the run around when I tried to use my warranty to I just ended up using the throttle by itself and an Extreme 3D Pro as a joystick. It works well enough since I'm not doing a lot of hardcore MP type stuff these days.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

Skoop

New patch is out that has a lot of campaign fixes in it, 1gigs worth.

Nefaro

Quote from: Skoop on April 18, 2018, 05:13:04 PM
New patch is out that has a lot of campaign fixes in it, 1gigs worth.

The Gig Is Up.