Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 05, 2023, 04:24:08 PMHow is this game now? I've been following it for a long time, but haven't bought it yet. I like to read the gamer reviews, but some are praising the game while others say it has problems.

Every game has problems. 

I'm not aware of a Civil War game that's had this level of scope and ambition that's come as close as this one has to actually achieving it. 

It's worth having if you have an even passing interest in the subject.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

I think the game is one of the best there is on the subject.

IMHO it is more simulation than game, and this may turn some folks off.

For example, the game pretty accurately models the difficulty both sides had in mobilizing for war. The early scenario starts in February '61, and it certainly takes until May or June before the Union can have even a basic army ready to field. This long draw up to battle may put some folks off, but it is realistic. Logistics and strategic transportation nodes are vital (like Cairo Illinois for example). It takes a while to move and keep your troops fed.

IMHO if you want to better understand the grand strategy and operational challenges of the Civil War, there is no other game like GTACW (AGEOD's Civil War II comes close). If you want to play a game...then Strategic Command ACW (by Sliterine) is probably a better choice.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

It's interesting...waited a long time for this game and bought it on release as the civil war is my favorite topic.  Never have been able to get into it.  Anytime I tried to play out a tactical battle, never felt right to me so was hard to get past that to even appreciate its other qualities.

Seems like I am in the minority on this....

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:35:43 PMIt's interesting...waited a long time for this game and bought it on release as the civil war is my favorite topic.  Never have been able to get into it.  Anytime I tried to play out a tactical battle, never felt right to me so was hard to get past that to even appreciate its other qualities.

If you haven't tried it lately the tactical battles are significantly improved from release.  They took major strides after they switched to 3d models over sprites.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 05, 2023, 07:51:01 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:35:43 PMIt's interesting...waited a long time for this game and bought it on release as the civil war is my favorite topic.  Never have been able to get into it.  Anytime I tried to play out a tactical battle, never felt right to me so was hard to get past that to even appreciate its other qualities.

If you haven't tried it lately the tactical battles are significantly improved from release.  They took major strides after they switched to 3d models over sprites.

I have tried after each update and still doesn't seem right to me...again could just be me and not clicking.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:57:44 PMI have tried after each update and still doesn't seem right to me...again could just be me and not clicking.

Eh, it happens.  I've been largely like that in Eugen games. 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 05, 2023, 07:57:44 PMI have tried after each update and still doesn't seem right to me...again could just be me and not clicking.

I can see that. It took me a little bit of time, and some trial and error before I became used to the tactical battles.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Skoop

I agree, this is currently the best civil game in active development.  The engine is really unique and I'm guessing they will be applying it to other periods of history, like for example, Grand Tactician Crimean War ? 

Purely speculative on my part as the devs are still working on the civil war title dlc that will add an rpg element where you play the campaign from the point of view of a regimental / brigade commander.

Forge of freedom was the only game I've played that was similar.

Also, if the tactical battles don't feel right, try playing with the settings.  You can turn down the command restrictions and courier delays so that it plays like a total war rts.  Also use skirmishers liberally.

Grim.Reaper

For me not about the settings, the battles just seemed off and ai was kind of all over the place. Made odd decisions and seemed pretty easy regardless of the situation because of it.

Certainly others having a much better time which is great, just not what I had hoped for.

Gusington

Grand Tactician: Crimean War would get my money yesterday.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Skoop on July 06, 2023, 11:07:23 AM...

Forge of freedom was the only game I've played that was similar.

I'll argue that Forge of Freedom is probably the best strategic and operational TBS USCW game ever.  Don't get me wrong, I like GTACW but it took a while for me to appreciate its nuances.

With Forge of Freedom, however, I can play a turn based tactical battle (even hotseat), build buildings in cities, produce units in cities, and form divisions, corps, armies.  The only thing lacking is turn based naval battles. 

Even AGEOD ACWII doesn't compare.  It's convoluted engine where things are calculated for the player under the hood is a wretched mess.  I've tried desperately to want to like that game but no one on this planet could explain to me the precise mechanics on how supply works, battles are fought, morale, etc. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

WallysWorld

I really like FoF so that's why I'm sort of hesitant to buy GT. I figure that other than the outdated graphics, FoF can do just a good of a job as GT can. Still thinking about it. Appreciate the replies.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bobarossa

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 06, 2023, 12:34:21 PMI really like FoF so that's why I'm sort of hesitant to buy GT. I figure that other than the outdated graphics, FoF can do just a good of a job as GT can. Still thinking about it. Appreciate the replies.
FoF's tactical AI was a mess.  They would always try to flank you by marching their army across the front of your lines within firing range. 

Regarding AGEOD's ACW2, I loved it and had no trouble with the logistics (that I can recall, it appears I haven't played it since 2017).  You had to pay attention to road networks and depots it I recall correctly.

Skoop

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 06, 2023, 11:11:23 AMFor me not about the settings, the battles just seemed off and ai was kind of all over the place. Made odd decisions and seemed pretty easy regardless of the situation because of it.

Certainly others having a much better time which is great, just not what I had hoped for.

Maybe you need to up the difficulty in tactical battles then.  I think there's settings to make the AI more aggressive and cunning or more docile, sometimes it's down to the historical traits of commanders.  Having said all that, you can dupe the AI like total war matches, like forcing them into a bottle neck and turkey shoot them.  I've seen more people complain that the game is punishing in early campaign and get rickrolled by the confederates, which is kind of historical.  Give it a whirl though, you'd be missing out if you didn't give the campaign at least one due diligence play through.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Skoop on July 06, 2023, 03:22:16 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 06, 2023, 11:11:23 AMFor me not about the settings, the battles just seemed off and ai was kind of all over the place. Made odd decisions and seemed pretty easy regardless of the situation because of it.

Maybe you need to up the difficulty in tactical battles then.  I think there's settings to make the AI more aggressive and cunning or more docile, sometimes it's down to the historical traits of commanders.  Having said all that, you can dupe the AI like total war matches, like forcing them into a bottle neck and turkey shoot them.  I've seen more people complain that the game is punishing in early campaign and get rickrolled by the confederates, which is kind of historical.  Give it a whirl though, you'd be missing out if you didn't give the campaign at least one due diligence play through.

Thanks but have given it enough of a try.  I am just having a different experience than others here which is fine.  In the end could be totally me but just not a game that has kept me interested.  As they continue to release updates I'll always give it a try to see if anything changes. I realize any ai is not perfect but just didn't seem the ai handled things well that I saw and just didn't connect with it.  I appreciate people trying to change my mind but as others said, not every game games with people the same way:)