Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 28, 2015, 06:03:53 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but my point this time was that Roberts was treated quite lightly compared to the way they treated Molyneux.  Both men have a similar track record...in fact Molyneux has arguably the better history.  Either they've quietly learned their lesson or they're hypocritical fucks.  My money's on the latter.

Also, unlike CR, Peter Molyneux isn't shielded by legions of fanatical fanboys who bristle at the mere suggestion that SC, just possibly, may not live up to expectations...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 28, 2015, 05:34:30 PM

he has a penis and must be destroyed

if it was christine roberts theyd be rolling on the floor waiting for their tummy to be tickled

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

And so Mr. Smart gains credibility again?  O:-)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Swatter

Derek Smart is a talking penis.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2015, 01:29:33 AM
And so Mr. Smart gains credibility again?  O:-)

Impossible, because as far as I know, the "Supreme Commander" never had any credibility to begin with.  :coolsmiley:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

But...but...he has a PhD!  In...something. Allegedly.

Pinetree

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 29, 2015, 06:51:41 AM
But...but...he has a PhD!  In...something. Allegedly.
I think his stood for PhallusDickus though...
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 28, 2015, 03:25:01 PM
306 RPS reader comments...  Star Citizen really touches a nerve, doesn't it?   :tickedoff:

Slow-motion train-wreck?  It's got a lot of intriguing stuff all scrambled up: Kick-starter, buying "imaginary" stuff for real money, Lots of money, fads in games, overall funding for games, persistant game universes (which I think is the basic  very bad idea from which many other bad ideas flow) and so on.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Swatter on October 29, 2015, 02:24:04 AM

Be that as it may, do you guys think his blog, solely made for his crusade against Chris Roberts' game or ideas or whatever you call SC at this point, contains valid points or do you think its just a big scheme of getting attention and it being slanderous towards the victim?

The discussion here seems to place some of the same questionmarks at the way SC is being conceived as he does, no?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MengJiao

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2015, 11:33:21 AM

Be that as it may, do you guys think his blog, solely made for his crusade against Chris Roberts' game or ideas or whatever you call SC at this point, contains valid points or do you think its just a big scheme of getting attention and it being slanderous towards the victim?

The discussion here seems to place some of the same questionmarks at the way SC is being conceived as he does, no?

I'm still astounded at at what a mess this all is.  The more I look into it the stranger it seems.  For example, the 9th most-funded kickstarter of all time is a card game with exploding kittens.  It was fully funded and more in 8 minutes (it also has the most backers ever):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Compared to that, even Derek Smart seems like a worhtwhile thing.

glen55

Did the explosives come with the game?  You just had to provide your own kittens?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

MengJiao

Quote from: glen55 on October 29, 2015, 01:55:08 PM
Did the explosives come with the game?  You just had to provide your own kittens?

You only got boxes of cards.  The rest was up to the players.

glen55

I swear I wasn't googling it, but I happened upon your exploding kitties card game just now by accident:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010TQY7A8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B010TQY7A8&linkCode=as2&tag=0atorgmarkdes-20&linkId=63C3ILMNYLLAQHWN

It's from The Oatmeal, a very funny online comic.  That's why it got a bunch of attention.  The Oatmeal has some serious fans.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jarhead0331

Quote from: glen55 on October 29, 2015, 07:15:54 PM
The Oatmeal has some serious fans.

...and none of them are members of PETA.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2015, 11:33:21 AM

As painful as it is to say, Smart does seem to be on to something here. SC as conceived just seems like a massive clusterf*ck in the making from a man who hasn't been in the games industry for over a decade, and who was never known as a responsible project manager when he WAS last involved.

As for the comparisons between the response to Smart vs. Molyneux, I think part of it is that Molyneux's latest disaster is already out and a mess. Also, he has made a career of the same formula of 'hype up upcoming game and say it makes up for last one, release puddle of crap that doesn't come close to hype, start hyping next game which will totally make up for this one'. Roberts doesn't have that same long tail of failure going on. However, if this does bomb or come up far short of expectations (and he's hyped it up so big that it almost has to at this point), he's done. No way dude ever works in the games industry again.

Quote from: MengJiaoI'm still astounded at at what a mess this all is.  The more I look into it the stranger it seems.  For example, the 9th most-funded kickstarter of all time is a card game with exploding kittens.  It was fully funded and more in 8 minutes (it also has the most backers ever):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_funded_crowdfunding_projects

Compared to that, even Derek Smart seems like a worhtwhile thing.

It was a small, inexpensive card game with art by the artist behind The Oatmeal comic. Look at how well something like Cards Against Humanity continues to sell as a stupid, simple card game. Not really a shock that this did well, too.