Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by steve58, June 01, 2015, 12:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Yup, Window 10 started itself Friday morning on my wife's laptop, but we were able to stop it before any damage done.

Question, has anyone tried to install Win 10 on a virtual PC?  I'm starting to think I might try that route (if its possible), just to grab a Win 10 key before the July deadline.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Quote from: steve58 on May 22, 2016, 09:51:40 AM
Yup, Window 10 started itself Friday morning on my wife's laptop, but we were able to stop it before any damage done.

Question, has anyone tried to install Win 10 on a virtual PC?  I'm starting to think I might try that route (if its possible), just to grab a Win 10 key before the July deadline.

The key would probably be tied to the particular computer you ran the VM on, no? Or could you move it to a newer pc if you deauthorized it somehow on the old one?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 22, 2016, 09:59:06 AM
The key would probably be tied to the particular computer you ran the VM on, no?

That is my understanding. The key is tied to the machine.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Rekim

The Windows 10 key is tied to the OS key that you perform the upgrade with. It is possible to install Win10 without a key, in which case it can not be registered with MS and will have some features disabled/bonus nag-ware enabled. Licenses for unregistered installations of Win10 can be purchased for US$120 for home edition, $200 to go pro.

Hardware does not factor into this AFAIK

Staggerwing

Quote from: Rekim on May 22, 2016, 10:19:54 AM
The Windows 10 key is tied to the OS key that you perform the upgrade with. It is possible to install Win10 without a key, in which case it can not be registered with MS and will have some features disabled/bonus nag-ware enabled. Licenses for unregistered installations of Win10 can be purchased for US$120 for home edition, $200 to go pro.

Hardware does not factor into this AFAIK

If the original was OEM, not retail (the case for any folks who didn't home-build), can you still use that key on a different machine? I alway thought the OEM keys were hardware specific.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bbmike

Yes, OEM keys are tied to hardware.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Rekim

Windows 10 licenses carry the rights of the original key that it is upgraded from. OEM licenses are tied to hardware. Retail licenses are not.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-upgrading-motherboard-after-upgrading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee?auth=1

Staggerwing

Quote from: Rekim on May 22, 2016, 10:57:12 AM
Windows 10 licenses carry the rights of the original key that it is upgraded from. OEM licenses are tied to hardware. Retail licenses are not.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-upgrading-motherboard-after-upgrading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee?auth=1

If I understand correctly, those who previously upgraded their OEM versions of Windows with a retail upgrade will have 'liberated' their license from being tied to a motherboard and would be able to take Win10 on to other rigs if they upgrade to it in time.

steve58

Drat, then sounds like if I want to grab a Windows 10 key, I'm going to have to do the upgrade, and then revert. :(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DoctorQuest

Quote from: steve58 on May 22, 2016, 03:04:25 PM
Drat, then sounds like if I want to grab a Windows 10 key, I'm going to have to do the upgrade, and then revert. :(

I tried the revert and it seems to work just fine. Since I have OEM copies of Win 7 I am taking the approach of building a new partition with my Win 7 install and then upgrading that partition to Win 10. I can boot back and forth as I like. It worked fine on my Win 7 laptop and I am in the process of doing this on my gaming desktop.

Granted this is a LOT easier if you have OEM media rather than a pre-install.

My issue appears to be that with an OEM copy I can't do a clean install of Win 10. I can't get it to activate. (I haven't tried the "call MS for a automated activate" option). What DOES seem to work is a clean install of my OEM Win 7 followed by a Win 10 upgrade. I can live with that.

Still doing a lot of testing. I did manage to use VirtualBox to do a Win7 install and Win 10 upgrade. No issues with Win 10 activation.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

Quote from: steve58 on May 22, 2016, 03:04:25 PM

If you have a spare drive just clone your existing one to it and upgrade the spare.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Huw the Poo

Look on the bright side...this will only happen until Windows 10 is no longer "free".  Then you won't get any more of this!  ;D

mirth