Newb here but not to gaming

Started by CJ7nvrstk, January 07, 2024, 07:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ7nvrstk

Old time gamer many times removed!  Started back in the day (70-80s) on AH classics like Rise/Decline 3R, Squad Leader series, Air Force/Dauntless, Tobruk, Submarine, PanzerBlitz....  Out of gaming in the late 80s.  Chance meeting with a guy who had something to do with Strategy&Tactics followed by another chance meeting with Dan Verssen combined with nearing retirement and here I am.  Have been back in for about 18 months now.  Rebuilding some of my old collection and gowing with many new titles.  Lanzerath Ridge, Corsair Leader, Tiger Leader, American Tank Ace, Interceptor Ace V2, D-Day at Omaha Beach:Beach to Bocage....  And a bunch more.  So many great choices now.  Compass Games, Decision Games, DVG, Osprey, Lock N Load (TBD if Stuka Ace ever shows up 😂) and of course still the classics.  🍻

JasonPratt

Awesome! Welcome to the forum! And nowadays, a lot of those games can also be played on VASSAL or Tabletop Simulator, allowing you to set up and take down things in a flash, as well as do some other convenient quality-of-life boardgaming.

LnL's Stuka Ace for example already has a mod, so you can start playing it on TTS while waiting for the box to arrive! (I was curious if this was a DVG, so I looked it up; naturally that's Stuka Leader, duh. Which doesn't seem to have a TTS mod yet.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CJ7nvrstk

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 07, 2024, 07:10:17 PMAwesome! Welcome to the forum! And nowadays, a lot of those games can also be played on VASSAL or Tabletop Simulator, allowing you to set up and take down things in a flash, as well as do some other convenient quality-of-life boardgaming.

LnL's Stuka Ace for example already has a mod, so you can start playing it on TTS while waiting for the box to arrive! (I was curious if this was a DVG, so I looked it up; naturally that's Stuka Leader, duh. Which doesn't seem to have a TTS mod yet.)
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 07, 2024, 07:10:17 PMAwesome! Welcome to the forum! And nowadays, a lot of those games can also be played on VASSAL or Tabletop Simulator, allowing you to set up and take down things in a flash, as well as do some other convenient quality-of-life boardgaming.

I learned about Vassal not to long ago but don't have a computer so that's out.  Hadn't heard of TTS but guessing that's the same, will look into it.  Thanks.

🍻

Randy76

Welcome CJ! The similarities between our wargaming experiences are kind of spooky. Maybe this is a trend? Anyway, from one prodigal son to another, it's nice to meet you. Btw you may be lucky you don't have a PC. I fell down the Vassal rabbit hole 🕳� yesterday, and I may be in serious trouble. 👿
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.- Terry Pratchett

https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/13026/grognard-meanderings