A Few Thoughts on Scotch

Started by airboy, March 17, 2019, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Its funny, I was a scotch/bourbon guy for the longest time... now I am into aged rums. No reason, just kinda ended up here
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Barthheart

I'm more of a bourbon fan myself but there a scotch's that I can enjoy.  It was 25yrs old and unfortunately $300+ a bottle... so I only drink from my friend's bottle. His wife bought it for his 50th Bday....no idea what the brand/make/style is other than not peaty at all and smooth as silk...

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

jamus34

Just grabbed another bottle of Laphroiag 10 yr. That and Ardbeg are probably my 2 favorite Islay scotches.
Insert witty comment here.

jamus34

Picked up the following over the last couple of weeks

Lagavulin 16 yr
Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey

Dammit Carl!

The best thread.  (raises glass)   :)

jamus34

Added a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr to my collection.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: jamus34 on May 24, 2019, 10:43:12 AM
Added a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr to my collection.

Ooh that's classy looking.  Nice colour, and 12 years is generally my sweet spot for value factored with taste (for a single malt).  Let us know how it is!

Toonces

I'm pretty much a budget scotch drinker.  However, I was at a party a couple of years ago with a very expensive pre-paid open bar, and they had JW Blue on tap.

All I can say is that if you've only drank budget scotch like me, you don't know what scotch is, or what you've been missing, until you put some really good scotch in your gullet.

I will never spend that much on booze the way I drink it, but damn, that was some seriously good stuff.  Like what I imagine the gods drink when they're having a sip.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Anyway, now back to my Scoresby and Clan MacGregor...   :-[    \m/
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Clan MacGregor's certainly not the worst cheap scotch out there. It was my go-to when I was nearly broke after my divorce.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 17, 2019, 11:13:44 AM
Nice thread, Airboy!

I tend to prefer single malt Scotch, however that's purely my taste and I have nothing against blends at all - it all comes down to the flavour.

That being said, I can wholeheartedly recommend a nice bottle of 12-year-old Chivas Regal, which has become kind of a go-to for me if I can't get my hands on any of the single malts I usually drink.  It's also not terribly expensive.

I tried this, again, and still don't care for the taste for some reason.

airboy

Quote from: Toonces on July 05, 2019, 01:09:32 AM
Anyway, now back to my Scoresby and Clan MacGregor...   :-[    \m/

I recommend Carlyle to you.  About the same price and has a much better taste (at least to me).

jamus34

Quote from: Barthheart on March 22, 2019, 11:32:31 AM
I'm more of a bourbon fan myself but there a scotch's that I can enjoy.  It was 25yrs old and unfortunately $300+ a bottle... so I only drink from my friend's bottle. His wife bought it for his 50th Bday....no idea what the brand/make/style is other than not peaty at all and smooth as silk...

I started getting into Bourbons.

I grabbed some Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, Eagle Rare and Four Roses. Pretty good overall, and for the most part MUCH easier on the wallet. BT and EC especially are relatively inexpensive.

Toonces

Have you tried Rye? 

I had some of that for the first time a few years ago when the Jim Beam Prohibition version was on sale for $10.  I was like, wow where have you been all my life?!

Same with Mescal.