A Few Thoughts on Scotch

Started by airboy, March 17, 2019, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

I've had Whistlepig a couple of times in the past...I'm really not a fan and has me hesitant to try rye's as everything I've heard that's a pretty good one.

Maybe I should give it another try. I've been turned off to most of American spirits due to my dislike of Daniels and Beam, so getting into Bourbon is relatively new for me.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

Quote from: Windigo on March 22, 2019, 10:56:31 AM
Its funny, I was a scotch/bourbon guy for the longest time... now I am into aged rums. No reason, just kinda ended up here

We got a case of Mount Gay Black Barrell rum when we were in Barbados last time and gave almost all of it away.  Rum is just too sweet for our tastes.

If you like spiced rum I strongly, strongly urge you to try Four Square Spiced Rum.  It is the best tasting one out there, and it is also far less expensive than almost every other Spiced Rum.  In the USA the only problem is finding it.  You can get it in St. Thomas in the Caribbean and at Total Wine.

Dark and Stormy's are Ginger Beer (we use diet to eliminate the sugar) plus spiced rum.  Those are really good and about the only way I drink rum any longer.

If you ever go to Barbados, take the Mount Gay tour and sample their Planters Punch while you are there.

airboy

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 24, 2019, 11:07:12 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 24, 2019, 10:43:12 AM
Added a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr to my collection.

Ooh that's classy looking.  Nice colour, and 12 years is generally my sweet spot for value factored with taste (for a single malt).  Let us know how it is!

My wife picked up a couple of mini-bottles for us to try - and I did not care for it.  There was no peaty taste at all.  It was like a very smooth, tasteless whisky - which is not why I drink Scotch.

But at my retirement party a friend gave me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year old that was just amazing.

al_infierno

Great thread!

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on Glen Garioch?  A buddy of mine introduced me to a bottle of some 25-year stuff that was just incredible.  It's been my go-to ever since, albeit I generally go for cheaper variants ;)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Barthheart

Quote from: jamus34 on July 23, 2019, 05:00:32 PM
I've had Whistlepig a couple of times in the past...I'm really not a fan and has me hesitant to try rye's as everything I've heard that's a pretty good one.

Maybe I should give it another try. I've been turned off to most of American spirits due to my dislike of Daniels and Beam, so getting into Bourbon is relatively new for me.

Canadian Club Rye is really quite good and not too expensive... at least up here.
https://www.canadianclub.com/

Sir Slash

I drink Bourbon mostly and my wife likes Rum. Bacardi and Jim Beam have been our go to liquors for a while but now I drink Kentucky Gentleman bourbon and Ronrico rum. They're much cheaper and just as good in my book.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Quote from: airboy on July 23, 2019, 05:05:46 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 24, 2019, 11:07:12 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on May 24, 2019, 10:43:12 AM
Added a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr to my collection.

Ooh that's classy looking.  Nice colour, and 12 years is generally my sweet spot for value factored with taste (for a single malt).  Let us know how it is!

My wife picked up a couple of mini-bottles for us to try - and I did not care for it.  There was no peaty taste at all.  It was like a very smooth, tasteless whisky - which is not why I drink Scotch.

But at my retirement party a friend gave me a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year old that was just amazing.

Oh I could have told you that. I have been told it's a good bridge scotch for whisky drinkers who aren't used to the peat.

Funny that 3 of my favorite distillers are literally right next to each other (Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin) which are probably three of the more peatier scotches you can get.

Personally I'm not that big of a fan of Macallan.

Also if your not too snobbish to enjoy a good blend Monkey Shoulder is worth your money (mix of Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie; at least historically, not sure if they've changed that blend)

Huw the Poo

Any of you tried Famous Grouse?  I'd never actually tried it despite it being available everywhere, but for my birthday this year I got a gift pack - a small bottle of it, one of those fashionable tilted glasses, and some whiskey stones (something else I've always been curious about).

It's actually not bad for a budget Scotch.  It won't win any awards but it's inexpensive and inoffensive, and now occupies the same niche for me as Chivas Regal, i.e. if I can't find a good single malt or am all out of disposable income for the month, I'll happily settle for it.

Skwerl

In the dim, dark past (when I was a wee lad) the senior partner of the firm is worked with drank the McCallan 15 as his daily and the 18 on special occasions.  Bought the 15 by the case.  Amazing

jamus34

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 19, 2019, 05:09:36 PM
Any of you tried Famous Grouse?  I'd never actually tried it despite it being available everywhere, but for my birthday this year I got a gift pack - a small bottle of it, one of those fashionable tilted glasses, and some whiskey stones (something else I've always been curious about).

It's actually not bad for a budget Scotch.  It won't win any awards but it's inexpensive and inoffensive, and now occupies the same niche for me as Chivas Regal, i.e. if I can't find a good single malt or am all out of disposable income for the month, I'll happily settle for it.

I've had the Grouse, I agree for a budget scotch it's not bad. I put it on par with Walker red.

solops

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 23, 2019, 09:59:59 PM
I drink Bourbon mostly and my wife likes Rum. Bacardi and Jim Beam have been our go to liquors for a while but now I drink Kentucky Gentleman bourbon and Ronrico rum. They're much cheaper and just as good in my book.  :bd:
Apparently you do not have what it takes to be a snob.
Sniff!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Huw the Poo

I picked up a bottle of this shiz for new year's eve celebrations.  Thought I'd be adventurous and give it a try; I've never heard of this distillery before.

Huw the Poo

Well, I'm sorry to report that the Auchentoshan is swill.  It tastes cheap and bitter, and to be honest I could barely finish a glass.  I'll have to mix the rest of it so it doesn't go to waste. :(

Staggerwing

Admittedly I've not tried very many single-malts, but compared to the ones I have, blended Johnny Black still tastes better to me.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

I'm not going to make everyone cry (including me) about the Scotches I had in Scotland last Fall.  You cannot get what I drank there imported into the USA.  I want to take a Scotch trip (my wife can navigate) sometime before I die.  She wants an Irish Whiskey trip - so we can probably trade off on who gets to drink the most.