Scourge of War series going away Sept 1st

Started by JasonPratt, August 24, 2022, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Quote from: Tripoli on August 28, 2022, 09:18:09 PM
Scourge of War: Gettysburg is on sale now for 50% off ($26.40).  If you were thinking about taking the plunge, now is not a bad time.
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/scourge-of-war-gettysburg-150th-anniversary-collection
No steam = no buy. I will just never install it without the ease of steam. It's like buying a book and storing it deep in your garage. You might find it again in 10yrs time.
For things that highly motivate me like Star Citizen and DCS I can handle a separate client. But not for occasional play games like this. I just hope the demos will still be around. See what happens.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

It isn't that hard for me to find Matrix games on my Matrix site page, if I remember I want to play them (and/or checking to see if I own them already. ;) ) It's no harder than checking through my Steam stuff, or GoG for that matter. (Well, slightly harder: I can't search for what I own on GoG or Matrix, exactly, only see the list and sort it various ways. Checking the store page doesn't show I own it either. Same with Gamersgate, if I recall correctly.)

I can certainly sympathize with not having one more login/password with potential credit card or Paypal access, tho!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MC

Latest news from the Scourge of War Board.

Scourge of War Update
Post by norb » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:17 am

After taking a few years off, we are back looking at the games and what can be done to make them better. The games will no longer be for sale for the 'hopefully' short term. NSD has parted ways with Slitherine and thanks them for the many years of support.
NSD Programmer/Producer

//https://www.norbsoftdev.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=79917

Tripoli

Quote from: MC on August 29, 2022, 08:28:56 AM
Latest news from the Scourge of War Board.

Scourge of War Update
Post by norb » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:17 am

After taking a few years off, we are back looking at the games and what can be done to make them better. The games will no longer be for sale for the 'hopefully' short term. NSD has parted ways with Slitherine and thanks them for the many years of support.
NSD Programmer/Producer

//https://www.norbsoftdev.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=79917

From what I can tell, this announcement was apparently unforeseen the Scourge of War community.  While good news, it remains to be seen how quickly they can produce a new product.  I'm sure they are going to make it Win 11 compatible, and there are other features (getting rid of the "conga line" formation issue will probably high on the list).  I'm certainly looking forward to whatever they come up with, as there really isn't anything else in this niche.  However, I suspect it will be a year+ wait, especially as they appear to only now to begin to look at the games.  In other words, this has not been an ongoing project, but one they have only recently adopted. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Toonces

Gettysburg 150th Edition is a no-brainer at $26 IMO.  I've been playing it for years just using the skirmish mode.

When I bought mine from Matrix I got a Steam key as well.  Not sure if that's still the case.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Pete Dero

Quote from: Toonces on August 29, 2022, 09:09:12 AM
Gettysburg 150th Edition is a no-brainer at $26 IMO.  I've been playing it for years just using the skirmish mode.

When I bought mine from Matrix I got a Steam key as well.  Not sure if that's still the case.

Never got a key for Gettysburg.  Did the game ever have a Steam release ?

Tripoli

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 29, 2022, 09:19:09 AM
Quote from: Toonces on August 29, 2022, 09:09:12 AM

Never got a key for Gettysburg.  Did the game ever have a Steam release ?

No, only Waterloo got a Steam release (I believe).   

Sigwolf

On a UI annoyance front... anyone know of a way to turn off the menu music in Gettysburg?  There's a music volume slider in the Waterloo options that isn't present in Gettysburg.  Is there possibly an option that can be typed into the ini file?

Tripoli

The options page has 2 pages: Go to page 2 by clicking on the circled button.  Then you can set your music on/off (See circled buttons in image 2)

Sigwolf

Nope, already tried that.  That toggle only affects in-scenario marching music, it does nothing for the looping menu music.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sigwolf on August 29, 2022, 01:00:33 PM
Nope, already tried that.  That toggle only affects in-scenario marching music, it does nothing for the looping menu music.

In the directory Music (Scourge of War/Base/Music) you rename (or remove) the file SOWGB_intro.mp3 to stop the menu music.

Sigwolf

solops

Well, I could not stand it. The $26 sale price sucked me into buying SoW Gettysburg
And I picked up War Plan Orange for $4 to make it a nice even $30. Heaven only knows when I'll find time to play. Back to Shadow Empire.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaTank

The sales price grabbed me as well. But I know had originally bought Gettysburg directly from Norbsoft, back when they were selling it direct.

But I can't find any evidence of that...so I bought the game again.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.