DEMO - Regiments - Single player RTS, cold war - Very WARGAME Eugen like.

Started by Destraex, June 24, 2020, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Skoop on August 24, 2022, 12:06:43 PM
Warno is very MP focused, that's why it seems be out of control for SP people.  I highly recommend to play warno with friends either pvp or pve or you can have all AI, and just take a small section of the map with your battlegroup and dominate it. 

I played the demo for regiments and it was good, but I'm already vested in warno, so this will be a christmas sale game for me.

I wouldn't touch any MP game with a barge pole and am having a blast with Warno - I'm a slow player, a turtler you might say - I'll advance to the point of being 51/49 in front and defend that line with my life but I love the game - liberal use of the pause button whenever I hear a new contact warning and I've never felt overwhelmed - it's not just an MP game

MC

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2022, 05:31:14 PM
Warno is very MP focused, that's why it seems be out of control for SP people.  I highly recommend to play warno with friends either pvp or pve or you can have all AI, and just take a small section of the map with your battlegroup and dominate it. 

I played the demo for regiments and it was good, but I'm already vested in warno, so this will be a christmas sale game for me.

I wouldn't touch any MP game with a barge pole and am having a blast with Warno - I'm a slow player, a turtler you might say - I'll advance to the point of being 51/49 in front and defend that line with my life but I love the game - liberal use of the pause button whenever I hear a new contact warning and I've never felt overwhelmed - it's not just an MP game

Sounds great. I will definitely be picking this up in the future.

Skoop

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 24, 2022, 05:31:14 PM

I totally agree with you and play SP skirmishes that way.  There's also workshop mods that slow dow the speeds of units and add more supply so long battles are more fun.

IICptMillerII

I'm really enjoying Regiments. In my opinion it is a great experience. More of a classic RTS/RTT, in a great setting. The campaign is a lot of fun, the skirmish modes loads of fun and have a surprising amount of replayability, and the gameplay has a great flow to it and is very satisfying. Plus, the devs have already said they are planning on supporting the title after release with some DLCs, and there have already been a handful of patches that fixed a few crash issues and tweaked some of the gameplay behavior.

I'm in love with the game and cannot wait to see more. I wrote up an AAR for the game on my blog, which can be found here: https://millerswargamingvault.blogspot.com/2022/08/west-german-chevauchee.html

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Destraex on August 29, 2022, 06:52:00 AM
Miller. What makes it better than WARNO for you?

Hmm, that's a tough one. I wouldn't say that I prefer one over the other, strictly speaking. I own both and do not regret either purchase.

I really like the gameplay in Regiments. It is very smooth and satisfying, and thanks to it being "realism-lite" values are abstracted enough that you don't lose a single tank platoon to a volley from a flank without any time to react. That is a crucial part of the gameplay loop in my opinion. It allows the game to function in real time with lots of units without becoming overwhelming for the player. It really does feel like Wargame and World in Conflict combined, and I am very fond of both of those games.

WARNO is different. For one, its still a work in progress. And I do think it has been improving in the right direction. I am very excited for the Army General and other singleplayer stuff coming for it. I think the majority of my enjoyment in WARNO will come from doing coop and head to head Army General campaigns. Plus, they are way more open to modding this time around, so it will be interesting to see what is cooked up by the community on that front. Even things like a tweaked campaign, or a new campaign set in an earlier time period could be really interesting.

That said, I think the biggest problem with WARNO right now is playing the game. Everything is just so fast. I know that is a criticism that is often thrown around and poorly substantiated. The best way for me to describe it is that because nothing in the game is abstracted (a pop gun firing at the flank of an Abrams will kill it outright, for example) everything feels lightening fast. Too fast to be able to react to everything as it is happening. The player basically has to be paying 100% attention to all units at the same time, which is impossible.
That said, I don't think the gameplay is terrible. There is a mod that I have played around with (called the Cinnamon Mod) that slows down the speed of all vehicles in the game by a lot. It makes some other tweaks too but that is the main one. By slowing down movement speeds across the board it gives the player more time. Reinforcements do not arrive as fast to flank an enemy, or your own attack, and you can devote more attention to your main effort whether it is an offensive or defensive. Having to rely on a mod isn't ideal, as it requires you to play with others who have the mod and not everyone will like this mod or that, but I think it is proof that great gameplay can be squeezed out of WARNO.

All that said, I will likely be happy with the vanilla experience in Army General with friends. If I think there is anything too egregious the modding tools are fairly easy to use, and I can always create some mods for my friends and I to play with when doing coop/head to head stuff. 

Destraex

Fair enough. Great reply.
The technical abstraction is what turns me off regiments even if I do not have full control of WARNO all the time. I consider some losses due to lack of control to be more accurate than total control of all minutia. But if you are losing control of entire assaults because you are not within the games OODA loop so to speak, then yes the game is probably going to overwhelm you. I have found the game was like that for me in early patches because the AI would take every opportunity to pour thousands of behing the lines ambushes on you like they were all like cells of a partisan army. You would just lose a tonne of high value units because the AI was treating every unit like a behind the lines special forces insertion. It seemed like the AI was allergic to roads. It does not do that anymore. Thank goodness.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

undercovergeek

If you really like Warno but get overwhelmed I find if you dial down the difficulty it's a much different game - no rush and it's more enjoyable - you may not feel like you're a kickass general after but you've enjoyed it at least - which is what it's all about in the end