A Few Thoughts on Scotch

Started by airboy, March 17, 2019, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I've finished my US Scotch-Quest.  I've got about seven different brands I keep on hand - so I have enough variety.

There are three I added since I started this thread.  I'll discuss each individually.

airboy

Glenlivet 12 year old Single Malt - very smooth, very good.  Some peaty taste, but not overwhelming.  More expensive than Dewar's and Carlyle (my two main drinks).  Very nice to have occasionally.

I keep a bottle in the cabinet.

airboy

Grangestone 12 year single malt.

This is nicely smooth, but has a distinct peaty taste.  This is much better tasting than Johnny Walker Red if you want something more peaty.  I keep a bottle of this in the cabinet when I want a peaty scotch.

airboy

Battlehill Laphroaig - 10 year.

This one is very peaty.  This is as peaty as I can stand.  It is good, but not something I drink every week or even every month.  I keep a bottle in the liquor cabinet - but one lasts me about a year.

Be careful about the Battlehill label.  Battlehill is a brand that is common to a number of exporting distillers in Scotland.  The second word in the brand name is critical to understanding what you are buying.  I did not care for some of the other Battlehill brands - but I do like Laphroaig.

airboy

Macallan 12 Year Double-Cask (blue box).

This scotch is distilled in two different casks - one a traditional oak and the other one that was used to age sherry.  This has a different, but very smooth taste than most Scotch.  This is a special occasion scotch that individuals who dislike the peaty taste will find to be an excellent drink.

airboy

In conclusion:

My everyday Scotch is Dewar's or Carlyle.

If I want something with more of a peaty taste - then it is Grangestone 12 year or if I want something really peaty - Battlehill Laphroaig.

My "special occasion" scotch is Macallan 12 year or Glenlivet 12 year.

I buy Dewar's and Carlyle by the handle.  I buy the other four by the bottle.  I keep all six in my liquor cabinet.

Johnny Walker has been dropped from my inventory. 

Huw the Poo

I will have to try that Macallan.  I think I've enjoyed every Scotch I've had that was aged in a sherry cask, and I tend to prefer the less peaty flavours too.  It sounds perfect.

Boggit

@Airboy

Have you ever tried Talisker? Not as peaty as Laphroaig, or Lagavulin but very nice indeed. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat