Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

For those who are interested, "War on the Rocks" had a pretty good 35-minute long podcast with Michael Kofman IRT the Russian mobilization.  I was working out when I listened to it, so I didn't take notes, but they cover a lot of ground.  Much of what they talk about is the implications of the mobilization, both politically and militarily.  It is well worth the listen.
https://warontherocks.com/2022/09/russias-plan-to-stay-in-the-war/
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 27, 2022, 02:37:32 PM
From an interview with Medvedev : (google translate)

After the sharp warnings from the United States, former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev reiterated that Russia has the right to use nuclear weapons "if necessary".

That is true in "settled cases" and in "strict accordance with state policy principles on nuclear deterrence," Medvedev, former president and now vice-chairman of the Russian Security Council, writes on Telegram. Medvedev mentioned the following conditions for a possible Russian nuclear attack: "If we or our allies are attacked with such weapons, or if aggression with conventional weapons threatens the very existence of our state." President Vladimir Putin recently said the same thing.

Russia will also make every effort to ensure that "enemy neighbors" such as Ukraine, "directly controlled by NATO countries", do not acquire nuclear weapons. "If the threat to Russia exceeds a certain danger threshold, we must respond," he said. "Without asking anyone's permission, without long consultation. And that is certainly not a bluff." Medvedev is known for his stern statements: he has already threatened to use nuclear weapons several times.

However, Medvedev also writes that he does not assume that NATO would intervene in the conflict in such a scenario. "After all, the security of Washington, London and Brussels is far more important to the North Atlantic Alliance than the fate of a dying Ukraine that no one needs." He said the supply of modern weapons is "pure business" for Western countries.

It's funny how anxious the Russians seem to be to make sure the Ukrainians really look for vengeance.  Referring to the "fate of a dying Ukraine that no one needs" does not seem to be
a good way to make friends and influence people to think of you in a positive way in Ukraine.  Also if nobody needs Ukraine, why are the Russians wrecking their whole socio-economic, diplomatic, and military structures to hang on to a few oblasts?

It's also odd that everybody is supposed to be busily ignoring the basic fact that if Russia blows Ukraine away, NATO will have to move in there to protect their own positions across the whole front.  You really can't just let Mr. Nuke drive clear to Slovakia just because his army is such a wreck he can't do anything else.  If Russia Nukes the Ukrainian army and drives into Ukraine, NATO will have to stop the Russians somewhere short of Slovakia.  Hell, at that point it might be time to redraw some boundaries and kick Russia out of the UN. 

JasonPratt

The moment the first Russian nuke goes off, they're out of the Security Council at least -- not necessarily out of the UN per se. But practically every nation (except Cuba maybe ;) ) will ally against them. This is what he is willing to do; this is what you can expect. Make your choice.

Regarding the Dupuy Institute estimate of his plan: I agree it seems like something the Russians would be thinking of, but I'm morbidly curious to see if 400,000 (more-or-less-)new Russian troops can be gotten ready to do anything useful by next year. I'd almost suspect the plan is to surge them and then nuke their own surge and try to convince people Ukraine did it -- except I don't yet see how Russia could even support a relevant fraction of that number to get them in place to surge.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

supposedly the first recruits are already getting captured.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

:DD  these people might really start the revolution by accident.
pretty sure its a parody.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1574865224108220423

FarAway Sooner

This is either a clever parody produced by Ukrainians, or it's the Russian version of Reality TV.  I'm not sure which.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Anguille

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 27, 2022, 08:58:51 PM
:DD  these people might really start the revolution by accident.
pretty sure its a parody.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1574865224108220423
Unbelievable!

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Anguille

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 27, 2022, 08:10:35 PM
The moment the first Russian nuke goes off, they're out of the Security Council at least -- not necessarily out of the UN per se. But practically every nation (except Cuba maybe ;) ) will ally against them. This is what he is willing to do; this is what you can expect. Make your choice.

Regarding the Dupuy Institute estimate of his plan: I agree it seems like something the Russians would be thinking of, but I'm morbidly curious to see if 400,000 (more-or-less-)new Russian troops can be gotten ready to do anything useful by next year. I'd almost suspect the plan is to surge them and then nuke their own surge and try to convince people Ukraine did it -- except I don't yet see how Russia could even support a relevant fraction of that number to get them in place to surge.

I think Russia might already have some trouble staying on the Security Council.  Why not put India on the council for example?

Also, since I'm reading about the 1813/ Sixth Coalition against Napoleon -- there's the neutral zone problem (neutral zones were very popular around 1800 and there were a surprising number of them: the
Prussian one from 1795 or so, Hannover off and on, Silesia occasionally and the one by Breslau during the truce in the summer of '13).  and another instructive case -- Belgium in 1914.  The technical point
that brought the British Empire into the war was (I think -- I wrote my class papers on the Balkans for my WWI course) the German violation of Belgian neutrality.

So, Ukraine was more or less a neutral zone -- not in NATO and not getting invaded by anyone else until 2014.  In 2014, Russia violated this implicit neutral zone.  The US at least did respond
by sending in agents and starting to train the Ukrainian army -- I guess they did a pretty good job with the training.
Next -- Feb '22, Russia massively violates the neutral zone, the West does what you do when somebody violates a neutral zone and arms the locals.

Now if Russia fires nukes into a neutral zone, NATO will have to move in.  Simple neutral zone logic dictates that you don't let people just run amok in a neutral zone.  It just isn't done.

Even if we ran a red vs blue simulation -- if red or blue goes into a neutral zone, you apply a definite response to keep that zone from obtruding into your operational space.  So nukes in the neutral zone
would mean you move into the zone to block whatever Mr. Nuke (red or blue) is up to.

Anguille

I've been watching a couple of videos from this guy. He's a british citizen living near St-Petersburg i think. He's pro Russia (i believe his wife is russian) and believes the russian speaking people in East Ukraine really want to join Russia. While i disagree with his opinion, i think his views and information he's got from the Russian side are very interesting to understand the other side. He's very articulate and is getting a lot of information...would love to hear your thoughts. Also interesting to read all the positive messages in english (meaning a lot of western guys support this as well).