Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 02, 2022, 11:44:18 AM
I hesitate to get too inspired by the stuff I see on YouTube, because it makes me feel like I'm cheering for one side in a football game and I know that the stakes here are millions of times greater.  But that "Slava Ukraini" video is really powerful.  Thanks for posting.

Yeah,  not a cheering matter when you see a song where someone sincerely asks "Please just stop trying to kill us and let us live our lives". 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

seems some things went down around Kherson this weekend as well.
nothing confirmed yet.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

SirAndrewD

That push in the south is interesting and it's right along the axis the Russians are weakest and going down the vulnerable supply lines along the Dniper. 

That is a far bigger threat to the Russian war effort than anything in the north until the UAF reaches Starbolisk. 

Remember to note, the Russians have their best troops in the south.  Kherson is defended by a reinforced Guards division.

They can't lose formations of that quality.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

QuoteRemember to note, the Russians have their best troops in the south.  Kherson is defended by a reinforced Guards division.

and theyre also firmly fixed in place as the north collapses.   :bd:
the territory the UAF are taking also puts a few airbases in range of rocket systems.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2022, 02:44:46 PM
kicking the russians out of the UNSC:

https://cepa.org/article/expelling-russia-from-the-un-security-council-a-how-to-guide/

I was discussing just this with a history department buddy this week.

There's precedent for this.  Don't forget Taiwan occupied China's seat on the Security Council until the 70's.

Taiwan still got removed because a vote recognized that they no longer had legitimacy under the charter as the representative for the founding member.

This is the possible out for removing Russia.

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2022, 02:46:07 PM
QuoteRemember to note, the Russians have their best troops in the south.  Kherson is defended by a reinforced Guards division.

and theyre also firmly fixed in place as the north collapses.   :bd:
the territory the UAF are taking also puts a few airbases in range of rocket systems.

And naval bases. I recall hearing that the Kilos surged last week?

Re leaving Lyman as a miserable speedbump: remember how that was so weird when we saw it developing, we worried that Putin meant to nuke the area as a show of force or something like that? Glad that hasn't happened! (Yet.)

Over the past few days (while I've been away) I started wondering if Lyman was meant to be a propaganda-loss, so to speak: LOOK YE SONS OF THE MOTHERLAND, LOOK AT THE SLAUGHTER, STAND UP YE SONS AND FIGHT FOR ....um, where was this, Donetsk or, um.... NEVER MIND THIS IS OUR HOME NOW, LOOK AT THE SLAUGHTER!

But the propaganda outlets are at best confused on how much they should even talk about Lyman. So, if that was a sacrifice play to goose defensive morale, the plan got signal-crossed.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

it wasnt that, it was another clusterfuck of russian command.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, don't assign any 3D chess to what happened in Lyman.

It was the Russians not knowing what to do and failing to do very tactically logical things weeks ago.

There's at least some stories now that the Russians did at least save some of their men there.  A lot of troops did get a retreat order but had to abandon their gear and positions and just run.

Issue now is they're falling back with UAF forces at their heels.

GDS_Starfury

its like 2.5d chess.  the UAF is getting fed so much information and what amounts to US style backround staff work.  happy for it!
I do love the Kherson, Kherson, Kherson tract with the main punch north and then the Izyum, Izyum, Izyum sucker punch south.
I would go as far as to ask... what the fuck is it with Kharkov counter-offensives. despite all the new found internet map readers the terrain seems suited for it, esp when soviets are defending.

GDS_Starfury

it could possibly be a very shitty nuclear week.   >:(

I really hope its not.  <:-)

Crossroads

Interesting. Seems the crowd trafficed to Red Square from state owned enterprises were - wait for it - not that interested of holy war against western satanists. It is difficult to tell all the disinformation out there, so just leaving this here. Quite a difference between the actual TV signal vs the alleged videos from the crowd itself.

QuoteUnedited footage from Putin's recent war rally in Moscow appears to show complete indifference among the captive crowd of bussed-in state workers. It seems propagandists added cheers and chants in the editing room. Is anything in Russia not faked?

https://twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/status/1576866894560169985

edit: glad to see this, that is. It seemed so bizarre there'd be a crowd cheering a holy war against the Western democracies.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

MengJiao

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 03, 2022, 01:02:29 AM
its like 2.5d chess.  the UAF is getting fed so much information and what amounts to US style backround staff work.  happy for it!
I do love the Kherson, Kherson, Kherson tract with the main punch north and then the Izyum, Izyum, Izyum sucker punch south.
I would go as far as to ask... what the fuck is it with Kharkov counter-offensives. despite all the new found internet map readers the terrain seems suited for it, esp when soviets are defending.

It's kind of weird that even when no one is trying to deceive them, the Russians manage to trip themselves up.  The Lyman thing is extremely puzzling -- but then, what isn't?  Okay so, i'll try to guess
what the Russians will do next.  The worst choice would be something to "test NATO's resolve"...I mean, before you drop a nuke, what about accidently hitting something say in the Baltic (maybe they already did that and nothing happened but some escaping gas)...its going to have to be a more obvious accident and shooting themselves probably isn't going to be as "provocative" as it used to be.  Shooting something accidently at Turkeyei is almost too obvious.  What about Roumania?  Drone "strays" into NATO airspace and does something?  But would that really "test NATO's resolve?" 

JasonPratt

You know things are going badly when a Russian region's governor fires his mobilization commissar and sends home half the men mobilized there so far -- because they're obviously ineligible!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/half-of-mobilised-men-in-russian-region-sent-home-commissar-fired-governor/ar-AA12wCML?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=bba8cb939f764add927ce964e8b2af0d

Meanwhile, another southern Crimea military airfield detonates, although this one has a more plausible-sounding explanation: pilot error and/or faulty equipment maintenance/design plus leaving ammo sitting outside next to the takeoff/landing strip:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-military-plane-mysteriously-ignites-in-crimean-air-field/ar-AA12wp6T?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=85cc7d15726f4acaa6c58b007a64a7cb

I mean, it's a plausible sounding explanation by Russian standards!  ^-^
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!