Steel Panthers Main Battle Tank: Rhodesia Bush War

Started by greengiant, July 11, 2022, 12:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greengiant

Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2022, 09:55:27 AM
Any good books you can recommend for these topics?

I can do some research and get back to you on this one (or perhaps another user knows). Most of my knowledge comes from family friends (and family) who are/were vets of both wars.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2022, 09:55:27 AM
Any good books you can recommend for these topics?

There isn't a lot out there and what is there is generally not very affordable. However, with respect to the SADF involvement in the Border Wars check out two books by Leopold Scholtz - The SADF in the Border War and the SADF and Cuito Cuanavale. Both available on Amazon. If you're specifically interested in armor used by the SADF during the Border War, look at South African Armour of the Border War 1975-89. It was a very tricky situation for South Africa. Due to the increasing unpopularity of the apartheid government and sanctions imposed by the western allies as a result, the SADF had to improvise and adapt in order to overcome. They had to work with what they could get locally, or from those foreign nations willing to go through or around the sanctions (i won't mention any names). The success of the SADF under these conditions is a real credit to their morale and training. 

...and seriously, anyone who can kick-ass in the bush wearing nut-cruncher shorts gets my respect.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

greengiant

Nut cruncher shorts.  :2funny:

And yeah, back then (especially the recces) were rated as some of the top quality soldiers in the world.

Jarhead0331

^Yes. some of the SADF and Rhodesian light infantry units, like the Selous Scouts, are legendary.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

You had me at nut-crunchers. Thanks for the above!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

In my search I found this, which looks as if it would definitely interest you if you haven't already read it, JH:

https://amzn.to/3IHGt2j

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

greengiant

Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2022, 11:11:05 AM
In my search I found this, which looks as if it would definitely interest you if you haven't already read it, JH:

https://amzn.to/3IHGt2j

Poking fun at someone's name is a pretty cheap shot... but... but...

Gusington

I don't know if that name is the best or the worst.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I forgot about these guys...https://www.warbooks.co.za/

They are out of SA and have a good selection. They have some cool stuff for free in their digital library too.

Link to free books and manuals - https://www.warbooks.co.za/collections/e-books
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

greengiant

So sad news, but it appears my opponent has gone AWOL. Almost two weeks since a response on Discord where we're sharing our turns. We made two turns each since, but nothing exciting enough to warrant a post over here. Should my opponent come back I'll happily continue this thread, but it isn't looking good. As someone who enjoys writing, I was really looking forward to continuing this AAR, or should I say DAR. I'd like to get another one going, I just need to decide which game it will be and whether it will be against a computer opponent or human. Also, to back track a bit, I find writing them in this form (during-action-report) as opposed to AAR a lot easier for me. My life is pretty chaotic on a good day, so keeping track of screenshots and details until the very end of a scenario or campaign is a bit tricky for me; I find it far easier to report an ongoing affair. I hope everyone is okay with that.

Anyways, back to the drawing board in thinking about which game gets my new action report.

JasonPratt

Alas! -- I was looking forward to the continuation. Hope your opponent is okay...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

greengiant

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 08, 2022, 07:50:46 AM
Alas! -- I was looking forward to the continuation. Hope your opponent is okay...

I've left Pete a message hoping he is well; between the two of us he is the more punctual in getting turns out so I am a little worried.