Rowan Comeback - Flying Corps

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 18, 2021, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Rowan releasing one of their former games.....maybe they will consider Mig Alley someday.....releases June 21

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1643470/Flying_Corps/

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

QuoteSYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM:
OS: Windows 98, 2000, ME or XP (Windows 95 not supported)
Processor: 400 MHz Intel Pentium III or equivalent
Graphics: DirectX
DirectX: Version 5.2
Storage: 70 MB available space

Exactly the reason to keep a few nice old Win98 and XP rigs around. Maybe even a Win95 box if you really want to hedge your bets on even older games.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tripoli

Looks like it is only OS: Windows 98, 2000, ME or XP.  While I really liked FC back in the day, I'm not sure that this will be worth it, especially when Wings over Flanders Field is available.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Destraex

Perhaps it will run in one of the windows 10 compatibility mode. Otherwise a virtual machine might be in order.
Might I add that the English in the Steam description is a little broken.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

Ordinarily my instinct would be to snatch it up but in this case because of the OS thing and the simple age of the game...not so much.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Vox

Rowan?? They were known for their quality of their flight sims. It  was a sad day for me when they  dissolved. They were kind to release SC for their sims. FC, MigAlley, Battle of Britain  and others.   I still play MA occasionally on a old PC, and BOB2 with the BDG 2.13 patch on a Win 7 machine.

BOB2 is a real "time machine" and a single player's dream. Still plays great.  Unfortunately, attempts at running BOB2 and the last BDG 2.13 patch under Win 10 have failed. Thus further development has stalled.  They could use help if anyone out there.
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10&sid=7fe565194c9af86d49826fd9f900ab69

Toonces

What a bloody waste of time.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

I remember the BOB game as being pretty nice. IIRC, you can play from the map alone or dive in and fly some of the planes yourself.

The keyboard controls on Rowan games can be a bit overwhelming at first though. My first Rowan game was Air Power ( a Steampunky zeppelin-launched fighters game) and I struggled a bit to fly and use all the keys at the same time. A nice programmable HOTAS set up would have been nice to have back then.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

steve58

Still have my Flying Corps Gold box up on a shelf.  Seems kind of silly to re-release it, but not at least mod it to run on modern OSs/PCs.  Like Tripoli said, not worth it with Wings over Flanders Field and also Rise of Flight available.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Father Ted

My Dad had this and I was so jealous (my PC wasn't up to it) - it all just looked so realistic!  It does make me wonder how good flight sims could be in 25 years' time...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on June 19, 2021, 10:10:50 AM

My sentiments exactly.  A total C-Tease. 

I mean, I'd do bloody murder for a remaster of the Rowan games, especially MiG Alley.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tripoli

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 20, 2021, 10:53:48 PM
Quote from: Toonces on June 19, 2021, 10:10:50 AM

My sentiments exactly.  A total C-Tease. 

I mean, I'd do bloody murder for a remaster of the Rowan games, especially MiG Alley.

Ditto.  I am surprised that no one has.   MA was excellent
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I well recall drooling all over those game boxes back in the day.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.