Planes!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 03, 2013, 02:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Yeah, the Poles do still have them in service and have upgraded them. Good planes, but the early models were notoriously short-legged.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on February 28, 2018, 06:02:04 PM
When the re-unification happened, the Luftwaffe inherited a number of 29s from the East. They operated them for awhile and let us get a good look at them too. Pretty sure they're all retired now.

Its a pretty cool looking plane and all, but.... maybe for OPFOR exercises?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

They got a lot of use for that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on February 28, 2018, 06:21:40 PM
Yeah, the Poles do still have them in service and have upgraded them. Good planes, but the early models were notoriously short-legged.

even with drop tanks? Or was that not a thing with the Mig 29?

mirth

Still very limited range even with the drop tank

https://www.16va.be/mig-29_experience.htm

Quote"The employment of the MiG-29 suffers from severe inherent constraints. The most obvious limitation is the aircraft's limited internal fuel capacity of 3500-kg (4400 kg with a centreline tank). We have no air-to-air refuelling capability, and our external tank is both speed and manoeuvre limited. We also have only a limited number of tanks.

"But if we start a mission with 4400-kg of fuel, start-up, taxy and take off takes 400-kg, we need to allow 1000-kg for diversion to an alternate airfield 50-nm away, and 500-kg for the engagement, including one minute in afterburner. That leaves 2500-kg. If we need 15 minutes on station at 420 kts that requires another 1000-kg, leaving 1500-kg for transit. At FL200 (20,000 ft) that gives us a radius of 150-nm, and at FL100 (10,000 ft) we have a radius of only 100-nm.

Windigo

wow... that's almost a 'what's the point'

carrier aircraft???

GDS_Starfury

it was ment to operate out of East European airfields and cover Warsaw Pact forces in Germany.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2018, 01:29:05 PM
it was ment to operate out of East European airfields and cover Warsaw Pact forces in Germany.

so take off at full afterburner, jink a few times, release a few flares and get shot down?

Staggerwing

The MiG-29 was meant to be cheap but capable and able to operate off of dirt roads and even open fields as it's ad-hoc air bases were constantly relocating just behind moving front lines. Those shark gills you see on the top of the air intake scoops are there because there are shutters inside the main intakes that can be closed during takeoff to keep sticks and stones and birds from getting ingested. Once clear, those shutters open up for regular air intake.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Windigo on March 01, 2018, 04:56:53 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 01, 2018, 01:29:05 PM

so take off at full afterburner, jink a few times, release a few flares and get shot down?

pretty much
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth

mirth