Computer Gaming - One Monitor or Two?

Started by ArizonaTank, June 11, 2021, 09:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

This is really more of a computer gaming question than a technical one, so I am posting here.

The eyes are getting older, and I find that I need to multi-task more (playing Civ VI while also running Vassal for example). So I am considering getting a much larger display...money is not so much of an issue.

One option is to get a very large curved display....but that means playing games in windows. But not all games like "windows"

The other option is two "largish" monitors, side-by-side.  Say 1920x1080s.  Most games support these resolutions. So I could play Civ on one side, and Vassal on the other.

The question is. For computer gaming, one big monitor? or two?

Recommendations? Experiences? Size recommendations?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Redwolf

With fullscreen games this will usually not work out because of mouse blocking issues (game locks mouse to its screen).

Better to have a second PC.

Jarhead0331

I have four monitors on one of my set-ups. I have a big 4K 42" in the center flanked by two 34" 2560 x 1440 displays. Beneath the 42" 4K display, I have a small 11" 1920 x 1080 that I use for my DDIs on the rare occasion I do 2D flight simming.

My other rig has a 43" 4K and a 34" 4k on one side.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I only have one connected but often find I need two for coms programs and other utilities on the side. Also two would be good for playing slower games while down time exists in simulators and such. BUT I have not connected a second one. I just don't want to lose the real estate on my desk. Another thing to consider would be horse power.

I would say it would probably be the majority of players that use two monitors these days. I used to use two or more for work. Did at home for a bit as well.
I would recommend two monitors for most people rather than one big screen just because you can run different applications on each monitor. Usually people run a game on one monitor and the windows desktop with apps like a browser for youtube, discord for voice coms for the game you are running on the other screen and such. I guess you could window things and drag them around the single monitor screen. But that gets much trickier than just running multiple monitors.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Redwolf on June 11, 2021, 09:35:02 AM
With fullscreen games this will usually not work out because of mouse blocking issues (game locks mouse to its screen).

Better to have a second PC.
That's what the game option "windowed mode" usually fixes iirc

z1812

I suppose like many things it is a personal preference. I went from 2 screens to a 34 inch curved 3440 x 1440 screen, and I prefer it. I do keep an iPad or small laptop handy should I need some information while I am gaming.

Apocalypse 31

I prefer to run single monitor for gaming and touchscreen tablet for other stuff.

It's 2021 and there are still many game developers that can't figure out a sensible way to develop multiscreen options for their games. Eagle Dynamics, hello!

Gusington

I have one curved 35" screen which (like z1812 said) is like two screens for me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

I can't imagine myself playing two games on the same monitor. I would recommand two larger monitors.

Father Ted

I have two large-ish (27" & 25") 1920 X 1080 monitors and I'd now feel lost with just one.  The main benefit for gaming is having Discord open on the second screen when flying.  Sometimes having a game manual readily accessible is good too. The best use is for Command Ops, though - open all the windows on the second screen, leaving the map uncluttered on the main one.

Anguille

Yskonyn

I have one big 4K 43" monitor at 60hz for most desktop work, sims and non-shooter games. Where the second one is used for 3rd party game apps, discord, sim gauges, etc.
Then I have a 1440p 27" 144hz monitor next to it for the high speed, low latency type games, which functions as main display for those games and as a secondary as described above.

This way I can show the games that dont need high refresh rates in glorious 4k res at a huge panel. When I do want to play shooters I switch to my 144hz panel, which at the size and res gives a very dense pixel density for ultra sharp images as well.
Both monitors have IPS panels.

Depending on your needs and prefs you should take size vs resolution into consideration to determine pixel density and then you need to choose what kind of display panel you prefer. IPS has deeper blacks and better colour grades, but generally has a tad slower response rates, though many higher tier models are now available with fast IPS panels. VA panels are cheaper and quicker, but often have very weak colour grading and black levels.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Talking about panels. I find I am a bit sensitive these days to which monitors my eyes will handle. I think maybe I am a little photosensitive\bright light sensitive.
I tried a friends monitor which was very focussed on speed for games (refresh and latency) rather than crispness of picture. It was a raptor or something and had a lot of shadowy bleeding from the edges of the screen. Felt to me like the monitor was a pool of water rather than a flat screen, like I could see depth in it. Gave me headaches. I went back to my 1920x1080 screen. Sometimes bigger and larger resolution may not be better even with modern monitors.

ArizonaTank

All great thoughts and advice. Thanks everyone. The question is deeper than I thought, so plenty to chew on.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Yep. Monitors are a huge rabbit hole to fall down. LED monitors are what I would like to try now, because they should have zero bleed.