It's Good to be Informed

Started by GDS_Starfury, February 24, 2024, 12:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Crossroads

Is that why they now can have their hands on their pockets? Or was it another branch. Unheard of, regardless. The youth of today, meh. I gave up when they started saluting even when not wearing headgear :tophat:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Jarhead0331

Is this your version of a mea culpa?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

its a news story about the only branch of the US military to pass an audit which is objectively good news.  :ThumbsUp:

Windigo

If a vehicle wasn't where it was listed as being because it was out conducting operations, or a piece of ammunition wasn't there because it had already been shot in a recent exercise, the Corps had to show documentation or photos of that, too, in order to explain discrepancies.

Herein lies the fudge-factor.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

the fact that it's the smallest combat  branch helped with the record keeping.

Windigo

Total 5.56 ammo purchased - (5.56 ammo in storage + 5.56 ammo allocated to units) = pieces of paper that 'verify' the ammo was shot or otherwise used in some way

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Windigo on February 28, 2024, 12:25:37 PMIf a vehicle wasn't where it was listed as being because it was out conducting operations, or a piece of ammunition wasn't there because it had already been shot in a recent exercise, the Corps had to show documentation or photos of that, too, in order to explain discrepancies.

Herein lies the fudge-factor.

Speaking as somebody who's done corporate Finance in multiple Fortune 500 firms, I will say:  All companies have what they call "a materiality threshold".  Variances below a certain $$ amount don't have to be explained. UNLESS your audits have turned up process failures or risks in that particular area, in which case they'll want you to research until you find it.

Passing an audit generally doesn't mean that you can pinpoint every single penny.  It means that a thorough review has not identified any material missing items or any major process gaps that could drive such a failure.

Setting materiality reviews is as much art as it is science, although adhering to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) generally keeps most private firms out of hot water.

I can only assume that government entities are trying to follow similar protocols.  I know a ton of people who have worked in Finance and Accounting, but none of them are Federal employees.

Windigo

We have what we can the "Office of the Auditor General". They come in and audit various programs in govt. departments. Everyone shits their pants when their area gets audited.... and by God, I mean everyone.

GDS_Starfury

sounds like a great Monty Python skit.

Windigo

Gusington

^We have that too. No one enjoys visits from the audit group, ever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2024, 03:24:40 PM^We have that too. No one enjoys visits from the audit group, ever.

What is interesting from my perspective is that they audit processes too.