RIP “Berto” from Campaign Series

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 24, 2024, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

I am guessing folks have come across Berto, remember him from the matrix forums being involved with various games.

It is with great sadness that I am informing you that Robert "Berto" Osterlund has passed away this morning. As the programmer, Berto has been pivotal in the growth of the Campaign Series capabilities and making the Campaign Series games what they are today. Berto and his exceptional expertise will be sorely missed. Our team offers our condolences to his family.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10167&t=401879

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sigwolf

Very sorry to hear that.  Thank you for relaying the info, Grim.  He will be missed.

Crossroads

We've lost a gem with Berto, not only a great programmer, but a board and computer wargamer and a military history buff as well. His great contribution was to become fluent in most if not all Tiller engines, both at Campaign Series Legion for the Matrix owned Tiller code branch, as well as for the other engines Wargame Design Studio took over from John Tiller Software.

He shone in not only maintaining and adding new features to existing codebase, but he also designed and coded a full Lua based Event Engine to Campaign Series side of things. I am not quite aware of all things with our WDS colleagues, I hope he had the time to implement it there, too. It is quite something, and all about his vision as how a modern game AI should run.

All that, and a top guy with a great sense of humour.

Rest in peace, Berto.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Uberhaus

My condolences on the loss of your friend, Crossroads.

Tripoli

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Pete Dero

My condolences to everybody who knew him.

ArizonaTank

Very sad. I have enjoyed playing his games so much. RIP
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.