What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longdan

I am enjoying it.  Downing writes a lot of entertaining fiction as well so he has a very readable style.
Reminds me a bit of Len Deighton's historical non-fiction.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Martok

Just finished Anderson's Boat of a Million Years, and am now jumping back to The Complete Sherlock Holmes.  Next up:  A Scandal in Bohemia

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

I just finished Kinsey and Me by Sue Grafton. Next on my agenda is Knights of the Cross by Tom Harper.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: eyebiter on February 23, 2013, 02:05:50 PM
Ghosts in the Fog: The Untold Story of Alaska's WWII Invasion.

I'm going to have to check that one out.  How are you enjoying it?

Bison

I'd say the most definitive book about the Aleutian/Alaska campaign is Thousand-Mile War.
http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Mile-War-Aleutians-Classic-Reprint/dp/0912006838

It's a very good book.  But be warned it's fairly lengthy and can get dry at times.

JasonPratt

^^ Sounds like my romantic life. SOLD!  ;D

(Note: it is conceivably possible that impulse buying things like this corresponds in some significant way to my romantic life...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Longdan

Quote from: Bison on February 25, 2013, 01:34:54 PM
I'd say the most definitive book about the Aleutian/Alaska campaign is Thousand-Mile War.
http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Mile-War-Aleutians-Classic-Reprint/dp/0912006838

It's a very good book.  But be warned it's fairly lengthy and can get dry at times.
I have had that in paperback since about forever.  I need a new one.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Arctic Blast

Finally tracked down a copy of the Necessary Evil setting book for Savage Worlds. And I'll continue on Day by Day Armageddon : Shattered Hourglass by J.L. Bourne.

Toonces

I'm about 30% of the way through Ivanhoe.  Once I got over the initial learning curve I've really started to enjoy the story much more.

I'm sitting at about 40% on Pan Michael.  Boy is that book dragging.  But I think it's about to get good, finally.

Lastly, I'm reading The Hobbit aloud to my daughter before bed every night.  She's getting into it. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Gusington

WTF is the deal with that?

Anyway I am tickled that you are reading Ivanhoe and it's not even as a punishment Toonces!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I'll be starting War of the Worlds tonight.

Gusington

One of my favorite all time books. I love HG Wells.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd