What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Details man.  I'm just trying to get him hooked.  :D

MetalDog

Up until On A Pale Horse, I had never had anything jar me like him shooting Death. Totally blew my mind :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2013, 07:57:35 PM
Up until On A Pale Horse, I had never had anything jar me like him shooting Death. Totally blew my mind :)

I might need to get this for my kindle and re-read it.  It's only been about ----- years.  OMG!  I'm getting old!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bob48 on March 25, 2013, 10:26:46 AM
I had the same problem with the Wheel of Time books. A decent, and more readable series, are the 'Shannara' books by Terry Brooks.

They are ok. I cut my teeth (pre-teen) with the Belgariad. Good series. Xanth was also good. Both were written by guys in Florida IIRC. The Thomas Covenant stuff was good if a bit weird.

If you want Jordan writing well you need to try his take on Conan which is hard to do past the teen years. His Conan the Barbarian was the basis of the movie. His \conan the destroyer was the basis of the sequel IIRC.

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Bison on April 11, 2013, 05:42:17 PM
Piers Anthony also has some good fantasy series.  The Xanth series is at like 30 some odd books. 

However On a Pale Horse book 1 of the Incarnations of Immortality is pretty classic IMO.

All the I of I were good.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Martok

As soon as I finish The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington series), I'll resume my reading of Bernard Cornwell's 1356.  He's brought back Thomas of Hookton, and the Hundred Years War continues... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I am just about done with The Scourge by Roberto Calas amd many of you guys would love it...it's a dark story of zombie plague in late medieval England, but it has me laughing my ass off in spots. Great book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on April 16, 2013, 10:00:24 AM
I am just about done with The Scourge by Roberto Calas amd many of you guys would love it...it's a dark story of zombie plague in late medieval England, but it has me laughing my ass off in spots. Great book.

Thanks. I will check it out.

Serf brains.....mmmmm.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

The publisher of The Scourge is the same publisher of what I am going to read next, Book One of The Mongoliad. Their name is 47 North IIRC and they appear to specialize in producing books from online projects and blogs. The Scourge is of surprisingly high quality with almost no typos, etc. Hoping for the same in The Mongoliad.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Just arrived today off amazon. 'The Wind Through the Keyhole', book 8 (book 4.1/2?) in King's 'Dark Tower' series.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on April 17, 2013, 01:14:45 PM
Just arrived today off amazon. 'The Wind Through the Keyhole', book 8 (book 4.1/2?) in King's 'Dark Tower' series.

Listened to that on my drive to FLA last Dec. Not so much a continuation as an aside. Good fun.

bob48

Fill's in some background stuff as I understand it, but it'll be nice to get into the charactors again.

Oy!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2013, 07:46:45 PM
On A Pale Horse is about a guy who takes over for Death.  the other four are War, Fate, Time and Mother earth.

sold!

MetalDog

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 17, 2013, 02:08:30 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on April 11, 2013, 07:46:45 PM
On A Pale Horse is about a guy who takes over for Death.  The other four are War, Fate, Time and Mother earth.

sold!

Awesome, geek!  You'll like them.  But don't be tempted to read the sixth an seventh books.  Satan is six and God is seven.  Six is ok, but seven is just awful.  They were added after the successful run of the first five.  In other words, you're not missing anything and you might just spoil your enjoyment of the rest :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob