What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Watership Down is a great book.  They did a cartoon adaptation of it back in the late 70's or early 80's, which is not really intended for young audiences but is a must see. 

W8taminute

I just finished reading 'A Thousand Sons: All is Dust' the other day.  I really feel bad at what happened to Magnus the Red.  He misunderstood the Great Ocean and his father maybe misunderstood him and his intentions. 

As a result I really don't like Leman Russ and the Space Wolves.  They're uneducated beasts. 

Next up on my list: Nemesis by James Swallow
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DEVGRU6

1.) "The Watchers: A SECRET HISTORY OF THE REIGN OF ELIZABETH I", by Stephen Alford
2.) "Satori", by Don Winslow
3.) "The Liar's Gospel", by Naomi Alderman
4.) "The Unbearable Lightness of Being", by Milan Kundera
5.) "American Sniper", by Chris Pyle (RIP)
6.) "The GODS of GOTHAM", by Lyndsay Faye
7.) "Inside Seal Team 6", by Don Mann
8.) "Napoleon and His Times: Selected Interpretations", editors: Frank A. Kafner, James M. Laux
9.) "The Resolution for Men", by Stephen & Alex Kendrick
10.) "Fearless", by Eric Blehm (RIP)

Toonces

I'm still working my way through The Bruce Trilogy.  Not great but not bad.

About 40% through Quo Vadis on my kindle (strictly lunchtime reading).

I have Tigana queued up next.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DEVGRU6

Quote from: Toonces on June 09, 2013, 02:17:20 PM
I have Tigana queued up next.

Oh, are you in for a solid treat!!!

Steelgrave

I go through two books a week, on average. Just finished "Infamous" by Ace Atkins, which was good enough to get me to start another one of his works,

Gusington

DEVGRU6 how is The Watchers?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

spelk

Currently on 'Leviathan Wakes' b y J.S.Corey and am loving it!

Bison

I really enjoyed that one Spelk.

DEVGRU6

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2013, 07:56:18 AM
DEVGRU6 how is The Watchers?

Just really cracked it open but very interesting in so much as that I've read. Surprises me somewhat that the topic hasn't been more focused upon in the recent past (oh...say the last 5-10 yrs.) by other Elizabethan scholars. However, considering the amount of negative press Obama and his admin. are receiving of late (especially the NSA), it does seem a very timely book.

In short worth getting, especially so if you are enamored with that period in history as I am!

DEVGRU6

(BTW, you would also love "The Gods of Gotham"...somehow methinks you have a special fondness for this period and locale.)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gods-Gotham-Lyndsay-Faye/dp/0425261255

Gusington

That has actually been in my shopping cart for.some time. How did you know that?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

he works for the NSA.  ::)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DEVGRU6

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2013, 10:27:14 AM
That has actually been in my shopping cart for.some time. How did you know that?

"Cart", you say???

Boy howdy, you must be way out deep in da' woods!!!!

You weren't in "The Village", perchance??...(hates me some M. Nighty Nite Shyamalanfubar...:)...he should of called it a career after "The Sixth Sense" (he, obvi possesses less than 5 senses in order to continue, not to mention his bank-rolled backers)...what a hack....sorry, I digress...!

DEVGRU6

DEVGRU6

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 12, 2013, 12:08:38 PM
he works for the NSA.  ::)

I prefer a beard and longer hair-besides, civi suits ain't my thang!!!

DEVGRU6