What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

B material eh? But even b Lovecraft material is still Lovecraft!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

republic

I just finished Ender's Game.  I've been trying to go squeeze in some Sci-fi classics as I can.

Up next I'm thinking of reading  "Leadership: The Warrior's Art" by Christopher D. Kolenda.  I stumbled upon it in the Marine Corp reading list.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good book on leadership?  I'm trying to work on that in my professional life.

Staggerwing

Apparently the 'Ender's Game' movie is in post-production. Please let them not Eff it up...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I read Ender's Game so long ago I don't remember anything about it.

I am currently reading Food for the Dead, a non-fiction book on New England vampire folklore. It's really good. I would love to find a job somewhere as an colonial-era professor of folklore.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Republic, you might enjoy Anthony Price' Eyes of the Fleet.
It's about leadership during the Age of Sail.  Pre radio, and everyone has to make decisions with no one looking over your shoulder.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Oh, and Defeat into Victory by Field marshal William Slim of Burma.
A simply amazing read on how the British 14th Army defended India.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

RiO_

Just started "No Easy Day" and Im having a blast so far!  8)

bob48

Just arrived today from good 'ol amazon - 'Rommel's Desert War - The Life and Death of the Afrika Korps'.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

W8taminute

^Now that sounds like a good book. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

Only had a quick flip through it, but it seems interesting. There is a lot of stuff about Rommel's early life that I have not seen before. The book goes up to El Alamein, so I'm now looking for one to continue up to the defeat of DAK in Tunisia.

The book is in the Stackpole Military History series BTW, and they are quite cheap to buy on amazon.

I also need to do some reading up on the NA campaign as background material for a projected future add-on to the NaW series games by LnL. We are hoping to put out a Cobra type expansion to follow the release of Desert Heat.

'Clip those corners'

W8taminute

Cool.  I'll have to check out Amazon right now in between answering the door for trick or treaters.  I love to hear about people who research history as they put together a scenario or wargame.  I wish I had more time to do this myself.  Good luck with your efforts!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

Thanks W8 - there are several NaW projects being worked on just now, and i'll post any future news in the boardgaming section.

I should add that ace scenario designer Matt Lohse is one of the driving forces behind some of these projects, so anyone who has played his WaW / NaW scenario's will know what good stuff he produces.

'Clip those corners'

republic

Quote from: besilarius on October 28, 2012, 09:29:32 PM
Republic, you might enjoy Anthony Price' Eyes of the Fleet.
It's about leadership during the Age of Sail.  Pre radio, and everyone has to make decisions with no one looking over your shoulder.

Thank-you for the recommendations besilarius, I'll look into those!

GDS_Starfury

where to start....

The Junior Officers Reading Club: Killing Time and Fighting Wars by Patrick Hennessey
great soldiers view of Iraq, Afganistan and the British military  cheeky humor for sure!

latest additions to the Lost Fleet series are ok.  more of the same but not bad at all.

latest few additions to the Honor Harrington series.  with three story lines and three
book series to go with them theres enough diversity that its still really fun to read.

with much effort and without a doubt the second most difficult book Ive ever made myself
finish is now Russia at War by Alexander Worth.  it takes talent to make Stalingrad boring.
for what its worth Glantz's on Leningrad was THE most dry boring book I never finished.

Republic... how have you not read Enders Game?!

Staggerwing... the movie will suck.  theres just to much from such a short book.  remember,
this is the Hollywood that screwed up the Hitchhickers movie.

that Rommel book is fairly decent.  most of the Stackpole series is very good.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.