Warbarons (basically Warlords online) - Info and MP sign-up

Started by Svend Karlson, June 05, 2012, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svend Karlson

Do you remember Warlords by SSG, released in 1990? It was a simple, turn-based fantasy wargame for up to 8 players. I remember it well enough to name each of the factions visible on the map of Illuria below.

Forward to 2012, and discover Warbarons. Warbarons isn't exactly a remake of Warlords, but it does offer you essentially the same game plus some very welcome extras, including.

> Can be played against AI, or against humans, or any combination of the two with up to 8 players
> Individual free-for-all and team based multiplayer options
> Very well integrated play-by-email PBEM system with turn notification (similar to the Slitherine system)
> Wide variety of maps, including the map of Illuria from the original Warlords and a great Middle Earth map
> Expanded range of troop types and troop bonuses
> Expanded range of hero types and hero progression / RPG-like development[/li][/list]

How to play?

1. Go here and sign-up for an account, then activate said account: www.warbarons.com
2. Join a game

The game is currently free to play, with the option of subscribing for a premium account which gives you some benefits, but none that make you more powerful in-game. For example subscribing allows you to play more games simultaneously.

There is a comprehensive set of tutorials. Some were a little buggy when I tried them, but I've encountered no bugs when playing the game proper.

When you join a multiplayer (MP) game you have a set amount of time to take your turn, typically 24 hours. You receive an email notice when it is your turn. At any time can see whose turn it is and can view the game map and send messages to other players.

Why tell me this?
I'm making this post because I'm thoroughly enjoying playing this and would like to get a team game going with fellow forumites. Also because I think this is cracking turn-based fantasy strategy game. It is simple, but what did Clausewitz say? War is very simple, but in War the simplest things become very difficult. The types of choices you are making are:

> What type of hero(s) will you choose? High strength? Good at ruin-searching? Useful troop bonuses? Fast speed?
> What production capacity will you build in your cities? Scouts? Good defenders? Ambushers? City siege units?
> Will you support your allies or protect your own patch?(team games)
> Where and whom will you attack?

So sign me up 8)
I propose that we play a team game, 4 on 4 on a map of Middle Earth. Post here and sign-up for an account if you want to play. Once we have 8 folks I'll create a game and provide the password for it. Note that this same thread is cross-posted over at The Wargamer.

The members of each team (good vs evil) can take their turns simultaneously i.e. each of the good team members can take their turns at the same time, followed by each of the evil team members. So on turns set for 24 hours, you take one turn every 2 days. I reckon a 4 on 4 team game will last maybe 50-60 turns, so if you want to play check that you can play for some time. Any drop-outs can be replaced either by a new human or by an AI player though, so it is not a total game-killer.

Game Screenies

jjdenver

Thanks for the heads up - I have great memories of this game. I'm glad the pay options don't make you more powerful in-game - makes it more attractive.

Svend Karlson

FYI folks, game has been updated. Two key updates from my perspective is that it is now possible to specify both an attack order and defend order for stacks of troops and there is a new hero type - a ranger who starts with high undead lore, which allows early searching of ruins which may contain gold, special troops or equipment.

Game is certainly entertaining me over an extended period, and I'm still learning nuances and tactics. If anyone wants to get into it and would like a team game or a 1 vs 1 with tutorial, my Warbarons name is Lykurgos.

New version screenies, first from a map of Middle Earth

FarAway Sooner

This one looked very interesting, for those of us who played the original Guy Fawkes' Warlords series.  Sadly, being a paid subscriber allows one to mix up the Fight order, which has a PROFOUND impact on in-game power. 

It got really annoying having my fragile Scout be the first soldier to fight in any battle, dying most of the time.  His purpose is to help my other units move through rough terrain, but without him to help out (because the computer defaults to making him the first combatant and he dies) my whole stack moves much more slowly.

Fantastory

Actually you can change units order on any acccount.
On top left click order/attack order and swicht units.