Main Menu

Ready or Not

Started by Jarhead0331, April 29, 2021, 05:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

VOID did not intend on going live on steam at this early phase in development, but apparently steam recently changed its rules and in order to get more keys for backers, they had to go live. So the only way they could continue selling keys to support development was if they released in EA on steam. They are calling the current build very early beta, but in reality, I think it's still alpha.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Ok thanks for clearing that up.
I'll wait and see. Looks promising however!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 20, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
Ok thanks for clearing that up.
I'll wait and see. Looks promising however!

I'd get it now. It's pretty awesome already. The last update was a game changer.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

I love the fact that the rounds from the pepper pellet gun leave a white, ring-shaped impact mark when they hit.  For some odd reason, every suspect I detain looks like a coke-fiend who enjoys rubbing chalk into their groin.  How odd...

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Personally I don't see what the difference is between this and what you can do in GTA V, except that in this scenario you play as the good guys and not the bad guy.  If the "school shooting" level is a college campus with adult characters, I don't see any reason for controversy or to treat this any differently than the levels in SWAT 4 that involve shootings in office spaces.  If the characters are high school or younger that would be a different story, as violence against minors is pretty much universally a no-go in video games, but I suppose the details remain to be seen.

Expectedly, the Kotaku comments are to be avoided like the plague.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just finished the Hoboken docks level.  Don't see why a school shooter scenario should be any more taboo that what is depicted in that mission.  I have no problem with either.

Grim.Reaper

Developer issued the statement below...looks like full speed ahead and willing to live with the consequences of their vision.  Certainly they are entitled to their own views and proceeding, but based on today's environment/culture, just don't see this ending well.  Even if they get out of early access without immense pressure from the media and others, every time there is a future school shooting (and sadly there will be more) it will be a constant subject that will be debated.  Maybe they see the publicity as a good thing, don't know, but I just have a feeling it won't end well in the long run.  I wonder what publisher will step in unless they go the indie route.  As for me, I do a pretty good job in separating what happens in games with the real world, but at the same time luckily my family hasn't been involved with a school shooting in the real world...maybe I would think differently if I had been.  Anytime children are involved, it's going to spark some strong reactions.

I already bought into early access and at the moment this subject won't change my mind in playing it, but who knows how this might change.

Jarhead0331

Would you have a problem with a film that covers this kind of content? They exist without much media fuss. Why can't there be a game? It's just another medium or form of art. This game clearly is intended for adults.

I don't see the issue.

I think you probably hit the nail on the head though. Publicity. Good or bad, that is what this is really about. The timing is too coincidental. They just released a very well received update that drastically improved the game. They are ready for prime time now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2021, 05:30:08 AM
Would you have a problem with a film that covers this kind of content? They exist without much media fuss. Why can't there be a game? It's just another medium or form of art. This game clearly is intended for adults.

I don't see the issue.

I think you probably hit the nail on the head though. Publicity. Good or bad, that is what this is really about. The timing is too coincidental. They just released a very well received update that drastically improved the game. They are ready for prime time now.

Didn't say I had an issue with it as I bought and play the game.  But that doesn't mean it still won't be an issue for them from a broader viewpoint.  I guess we will see.

Jarhead0331

^apologies. From your statement, it sounded as if you were struggling with the content.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2021, 05:49:56 AM
^apologies. From your statement, it sounded as if you were struggling with the content.

No worries.  Not for or against it as so far I have been able to separate games from real life.  Main reason for posting it was just to provide another piece of information as people decide to invest in it or not.  Really not from the standpoint of whether you are for or against the discussion point, but from the standpoint its an additional risk of this game being released and reaching its full potential.  They might struggle finding a publisher and even if they go indie, this topic will never go away.  Will Steam ever have an issue with it where they won't sale/support it on their platform?  With all that said, I certainly respect those people who decide not to buy because of the subject matter, especially if they have even been impacted by a real life situation.  Certainly if I lost a child from a school shooting, I wouldn't play a game, watch a movie, or read a book on the subject matter unless it was about how the father got his revenge by destroying the killer.

Ok, enough of that, back to playing games and enjoying the holiday.

Jarhead0331

^ok...you do realize you play the role of the police in this game with the goal of stopping the killer? That sort of goes to your final point.

Yes. It's a touchy subject and there certainly will be those intellectual dummkopfs who reject it outright and who will demand that development be stopped or the product boycotted because it offends their delicate sensibilities. However, this isn't even like Six Days in Fallujah, where morons can claim it glorifies killing Muslims. Here, you're a cop, with the mission of stopping the shooter. Only those who ignore basic facts (and there are plenty) will find this role objectionable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2021, 07:41:58 AM
^ok...you do realize you play the role of the police in this game with the goal of stopping the killer? That sort of goes to your final point.

Yes. It's a touchy subject and there certainly will be those intellectual dummkopfs who reject it outright and who will demand that development be stopped or the product boycotted because it offends their delicate sensibilities. However, this isn't even like Six Days in Fallujah, where morons can claim it glorifies killing Muslims. Here, you're a cop, with the mission of stopping the shooter. Only those who ignore basic facts (and there are plenty) will find this role objectionable.

Of course it is centered around you playing the role of the police but also includes the potential harming of children in an interactive game.  Totally understand that is not an issue for some, but will be an issue for others.  I am not really trying to convince anyone but I can see how different people will view it.   Again, nothing at this point is stopping me from playing the game or supporting it, but I have a feeling it will disrupt this game in some way.....but can completely be wrong.