Main Menu

Ready or Not

Started by Jarhead0331, April 29, 2021, 05:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Their statement above is well written and all-around well done. If Ready or Not let gamers play as the criminal gunman, then I could see more of an issue. I understand the sensitivity around the subject matter but playing the role of a police officer or sheriff trying to stop a lunatic sounds pretty good to me. Maybe even therapeutic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on December 24, 2021, 01:06:54 PM
Their statement above is well written and all-around well done. If Ready or Not let gamers play as the criminal gunman, then I could see more of an issue. I understand the sensitivity around the subject matter but playing the role of a police officer or sheriff trying to stop a lunatic sounds pretty good to me. Maybe even therapeutic.

Except the typical shooter in a school that you must take down is a child with some mental problems as well

Silent Disapproval Robot

If it bothers you, don't play it.  Don't try to tell others they have to follow suit and do as you do though.  That's my take on the matter.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 24, 2021, 01:14:37 PM
If it bothers you, don't play it.  Don't try to tell others they have to follow suit and do as you do though.  That's my take on the matter.

Didnt tell you to do anything.....

Silent Disapproval Robot

I meant "you" in the general sense.  Not you specifically Grim.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 24, 2021, 01:17:38 PM
I meant "you" in the general sense.  Not you specifically Grim.

That's totally fair, sorry about that

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was going to use "one" instead of "you", but it made me sound like a poncy fancy lad.

Gusington

You make a good point above Grim, about the typical school shooter. Which makes it complicated. Like I said I understand emotions and complexity of this and can see why players would both want and not want to give the school level a try.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

I still haven't seen any actual confirmation that the "school shooting" level will, in fact, involve children.  As I pointed out before, a "school shooting" level could just as easily be a college campus with only adult characters, a la Virginia Tech.  Alternatively, there are plenty of examples of shootings carried out against children by adults, Sandy Hook being the most famous example.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on December 24, 2021, 02:29:41 PM
I still haven't seen any actual confirmation that the "school shooting" level will, in fact, involve children.  As I pointed out before, a "school shooting" level could just as easily be a college campus with only adult characters, a la Virginia Tech.  Alternatively, there are plenty of examples of shootings carried out against children by adults, Sandy Hook being the most famous example.

Until they actually release the content, nobody knows what the actual scenario will be.  Could be older adults attending night driving school:)

Very complex situation as it requires everyone to define the acceptable age where it is fair game to depict these situations and not have a backlash.  I suspect the people who will have an issue won't draw a line between pre-college and college aged (and attending a school), even if legally an adult as they are still pretty young.  But on the other hand, would they be OK if they are of the same age and but not attending a school?  I just think any situation that involves the use of school shooting term immediately paints certain images in their minds.

Regardless, I do think they will have an older adult shooter in either situation to help lessen the fallout, but who knows.

Redwolf

I predict major fallout. Possibly up to a Steam suspension.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on December 24, 2021, 05:36:09 PM

Why? Hatred is on steam. In that game, you're a crazed killer running around town murdering everyone...man, woman and beast.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Not to mention Postal 1 through 4.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2021, 05:43:52 PM

Why? Hatred is on steam. In that game, you're a crazed killer running around town murdering everyone...man, woman and beast.

Yeah, but they didn't have big fallout. What I expect is big enough fallout for the situation to be different.

al_infierno

Quote from: Redwolf on December 24, 2021, 06:37:57 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 24, 2021, 05:43:52 PM

Yeah, but they didn't have big fallout. What I expect is big enough fallout for the situation to be different.

Why do you expect bigger fallout for this than for Hatred?  I recall following the development of Hatred hoping for a good Postal spiritual successor (which it wasn't), and there was absolutely a big controversy about it at the time of announcement and release, including the game being removed from multiple storefronts.  It was even briefly removed from Steam.

- MengJiao