Did MP ruin your SP vs AI experience?

Started by Tanaka, January 20, 2022, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Quote from: Tanaka on January 22, 2022, 03:55:56 AM
Quote from: -budd- on January 21, 2022, 10:58:03 PM
Briefly MP ruined my SP experience. Started playing pbem for the first time around 3 years ago or so. Hit it hard and heavy, had as much as 7 different games playing pbem. Pretty much had given up SP for that period. Lasted about 6 months for me before i burned out. All my opponents were good, respectful, considerate players. Now i'm about 70% SP and 20% MP, the other 10%, which is a surprise to me is hotseat. Never thought i'd enjoy hotseat, but i just do a turn a day in hotseat mode, and i'll be damned if i don't forget the what and where of the other side. I still play pbem, i have just one like minded opponent these days. We both like to play a lot of different games, we're pretty relaxed about it and we're not min/max players. I think the most important parts of finding someone to pbem with is your like minded about games and roughly the same skill level, we play for fun. We currently have 4 games going, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes, World at War Bull Run scenario, Shadow Empire, and Shenandoah Studio's Battle of the Bulge. I'm an average player so most times the AI is fine for me. As far as games are concerned i'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

Yeah I guess I am in that period. Never tried hotseat. Agreed sounds like the same type of player I am. I want to get DCA when it goes on sale. How do you like it so far?

Never heard of WAWBullRun? Have Shadow Empire but just cannot get into it...I guess that would be a PvE turn based game!

DCA is friggin great in both SP and MP, can't recommend it enough. Shadow Empire is pretty much PvE for us, it more of a slow burn game. We've played 40 turns and we seen no sign of each other. Sorry got the title wrong it's Wars Across the World https://store.steampowered.com/app/341040/Wars_Across_The_World/   we picked this up in the Steam sale and our giving it a spin in pbem. It is fun and interesting to go into a pbem cold where you both don't have any experience with the game.  We're trying the base game which has a bunch of different scenarios from different time periods, we're currently playing Bull Run.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Thomas Davie

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2022, 09:39:10 PM
No. People suck.

This. I'm on medical retirement and play what I want, when I want.

It's not untypical for me to be playing Field of Glory II at 4pm, still in pajamas.

Played one game of Close Combat: Russian Front online against a human and it was quite unpleasant.

Tom

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Sigwolf

Another retired person here.  No MP for me, it's AI only.  Both because people suck, and I suck at wargames despite how much I love them.  ;D  My main issue is that I bounce around between so many games, and different genres, that I never have time to get to be any good at any of them.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sigwolf on January 23, 2022, 11:07:26 AM
Another retired person here.  No MP for me, it's AI only.  Both because people suck, and I suck at wargames despite how much I love them.  ;D  My main issue is that I bounce around between so many games, and different genres, that I never have time to get to be any good at any of them.

Sig....you somehow exactly described my gaming experience, and I'm retired as well. Are you me?   :-\ :o ;)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I am so much better at being retired than I ever was at working for a living that I should've done this first. I also bounce around from game to game depending on my mood at present. I'm glad my AI opponent is always a willing and ready presence.  :hug:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

but theres something fulfilling about beating another person.
up to a point.
while Ive enjoyed many solo games its the ones that have a healthy pvp element that I really enjoy.
where I find it falls flat is that many pvp games market themselves in such a way as to attract shit transient players that just throw the whole balance off these days.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Thomas Davie on January 23, 2022, 09:09:32 AM
Played one game of Close Combat: Russian Front online against a human and it was quite unpleasant.

Tom

I miss those days....  :dreamer:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tanaka

Quote from: -budd- on January 22, 2022, 09:59:47 PM
Briefly MP ruined my SP experience. Started playing pbem for the first time around 3 years ago or so. Hit it hard and heavy, had as much as 7 different games playing pbem. Pretty much had given up SP for that period. Lasted about 6 months for me before i burned out. All my opponents were good, respectful, considerate players. Now i'm about 70% SP and 20% MP, the other 10%, which is a surprise to me is hotseat. Never thought i'd enjoy hotseat, but i just do a turn a day in hotseat mode, and i'll be damned if i don't forget the what and where of the other side. I still play pbem, i have just one like minded opponent these days. We both like to play a lot of different games, we're pretty relaxed about it and we're not min/max players. I think the most important parts of finding someone to pbem with is your like minded about games and roughly the same skill level, we play for fun. We currently have 4 games going, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes, World at War Bull Run scenario, Shadow Empire, and Shenandoah Studio's Battle of the Bulge. I'm an average player so most times the AI is fine for me. As far as games are concerned i'm a jack of all trades, master of none.

Yeah I guess I am in that period. Never tried hotseat. Agreed sounds like the same type of player I am. I want to get DCA when it goes on sale. How do you like it so far?

Never heard of WAWBullRun? Have Shadow Empire but just cannot get into it...I guess that would be a PvE turn based game!

DCA is friggin great in both SP and MP, can't recommend it enough. Shadow Empire is pretty much PvE for us, it more of a slow burn game. We've played 40 turns and we seen no sign of each other. Sorry got the title wrong it's Wars Across the World https://store.steampowered.com/app/341040/Wars_Across_The_World/   we picked this up in the Steam sale and our giving it a spin in pbem. It is fun and interesting to go into a pbem cold where you both don't have any experience with the game.  We're trying the base game which has a bunch of different scenarios from different time periods, we're currently playing Bull Run.

Nice will have to pick DCA up sometime!

So SE as PvE does that mean you both play against the AI and will not attack one another?

Interesting Wars Across the World never seen that one before any good?

W8taminute

^I have WAW but have only played the June 1967 Six Day War scenario.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/547620/Wars_Across_the_World_Six_Days_1967/

It's a fun war gaming system but a little too simplistic for my tastes as a single player game.  I do see however that it could be fun playing against a human opponent. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tanaka

Quote from: W8taminute on January 27, 2022, 09:04:59 AM

It's a fun war gaming system but a little too simplistic for my tastes as a single player game.  I do see however that it could be fun playing against a human opponent.

Yeah that's how I feel about the SGS games: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/36173274

I just can't get into them as the AI is poor and cards in strategy games are a turn off for me...

Does anyone enjoy these in single player?

-budd-

Quote from: Tanaka on January 27, 2022, 12:58:56 AM

So SE as PvE does that mean you both play against the AI and will not attack one another?

For SE we just haven't run into each other yet, but there is no agreement on not attacking each other. My start has been a little slow as i was short on food, water and IP with the starting spot i began with and only now am i getting my civ moving. Right now its just like an SP game, but you now there's another human out there. We send messages about our progress with each turn as this is our first go at MP.  SE in general is a relaxed, slow moving game.

Wars Across the World is a title we talked about getting during the sale, probably wouldn't have got it if my pbem partner wasn't going to get it. We were attracted to all the different scenarios. We like to play a bunch of different kinds of PBEM games, to soon to tell if its a good lasting MP title, were only 5 turns into Bull Run, a smaller scenario to learn the ropes.

The SGS games we considered for same reasons we ended up getting Wars Across the World, but WATW was cheaper during the sale.

People don't suck, you just have to find a like minded[game wise] roughly the same skill level player to play with. He's retired and travels, i'm still working with a teenage daughter still in the house and a grandson we watch 3 or 4 times a week so the turn exchange is irregular at best. We keep in good contact and turns come when the come, there is always SP in the meantime. If anyone is not having fun with a scenario we move on to something else, no hard feelings. It's competitive but not competitive if you know what i mean. He's more of an attacking player, while i'm more measured. It's funny how you learn your PBEM partners patterns, sometimes you just know what there going to do in a situation and manage to beat them to the punch, and other times it's like where the hell did that come from, big part of what makes playing a real person fun i suppose. An AI might surprise you but its different when its another human.

I resisted MP for a lot of years with the same reasons people list here. The biggest reason i never played PBEM was my worry that i wouldn't be a good opponent, like i said i'm average at best at these games. I'm sure for some of the opponents i played when i started i was a speed bump, but they were all nice about it and i moved on to other opponents. If you play a person that has sunk hours upon hours into one game and you haven't your going to get smoked most times.

If i had time i'd let all you first time pbem players tune up beating my sorry ass, but right now i have more games than time.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tanaka

Quote from: -budd- on January 28, 2022, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on January 27, 2022, 12:58:56 AM

For SE we just haven't run into each other yet, but there is no agreement on not attacking each other. My start has been a little slow as i was short on food, water and IP with the starting spot i began with and only now am i getting my civ moving. Right now its just like an SP game, but you now there's another human out there. We send messages about our progress with each turn as this is our first go at MP.  SE in general is a relaxed, slow moving game.

Wars Across the World is a title we talked about getting during the sale, probably wouldn't have got it if my pbem partner wasn't going to get it. We were attracted to all the different scenarios. We like to play a bunch of different kinds of PBEM games, to soon to tell if its a good lasting MP title, were only 5 turns into Bull Run, a smaller scenario to learn the ropes.

The SGS games we considered for same reasons we ended up getting Wars Across the World, but WATW was cheaper during the sale.

People don't suck, you just have to find a like minded[game wise] roughly the same skill level player to play with. He's retired and travels, i'm still working with a teenage daughter still in the house and a grandson we watch 3 or 4 times a week so the turn exchange is irregular at best. We keep in good contact and turns come when the come, there is always SP in the meantime. If anyone is not having fun with a scenario we move on to something else, no hard feelings. It's competitive but not competitive if you know what i mean. He's more of an attacking player, while i'm more measured. It's funny how you learn your PBEM partners patterns, sometimes you just know what there going to do in a situation and manage to beat them to the punch, and other times it's like where the hell did that come from, big part of what makes playing a real person fun i suppose. An AI might surprise you but its different when its another human.

I resisted MP for a lot of years with the same reasons people list here. The biggest reason i never played PBEM was my worry that i wouldn't be a good opponent, like i said i'm average at best at these games. I'm sure for some of the opponents i played when i started i was a speed bump, but they were all nice about it and i moved on to other opponents. If you play a person that has sunk hours upon hours into one game and you haven't your going to get smoked most times.

If i had time i'd let all you first time pbem players tune up beating my sorry ass, but right now i have more games than time.

Nice write up. Agree that people don't suck if you find the right ones. I've made a good friend with similar interests along the way. I also resisted until the pandemic year and decided to give it a go and am glad I did. It is so true about patterns. My good friend OCB talks about my patterns in our current game. It is fun to watch your PBEM's!

Yeah as far as being a good opponent I am definitely not the best I just like to have fun. I have never beaten OCB at SCWW1 he is so good but I was able to beat him at SCWAW. I have no interest in playing people just interested in blood sport. I like the journey not the destination and look for like-minded.

MengJiao

Quote from: Tanaka on January 28, 2022, 09:30:19 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 27, 2022, 09:04:59 AM

Yeah that's how I feel about the SGS games: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/36173274

I just can't get into them as the AI is poor and cards in strategy games are a turn off for me...

Does anyone enjoy these in single player?

I do.