May I pass on this Point Non VRers wont know

Started by MiniHexer, August 22, 2021, 03:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Personally, I don't mind the cords. I don't really see a need for that back-pack get up. I play in a relatively small space in my home office. When I want to play in a different space, I just use the Quest 2.  I can really only see the back-pack being useful for large scale VR play, like for purposes of training, or commercial gaming in a big open space.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MiniHexer

edit

Staggerwing

FWIW, I got notice earlier today that that the 128 gig Quest 2 was back in stock at Newegg.com for $299 so I ordered one. I was at work so I didn't have time to post here. Now it looks like they are all sold out again. There was a 1 unit limit so I'll need to wait for the 256 gig model ('Coming soon!') if I want another to multiplay with my son. Hopefully they keep the $299 price point...

I've got a quick question for those of you that have any Oculus headsets that require a facebook login:

Do you use your personal account or did you create a second random account so you don't give up yet more metrics from your personal account to FB??

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MiniHexer

I was one of those people who never had a FB account, so I had to create one for oculus, and i set everything to private and have no friends

MiniHexer

edit

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 24, 2021, 09:19:46 PM
FWIW, I got notice earlier today that that the 128 gig Quest 2 was back in stock at Newegg.com for $299 so I ordered one. I was at work so I didn't have time to post here. Now it looks like they are all sold out again. There was a 1 unit limit so I'll need to wait for the 256 gig model ('Coming soon!') if I want another to multiplay with my son. Hopefully they keep the $299 price point...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/24/22639523/oculus-quest-2-pause-sale-recall-base-model-storage

In addition to the new silicon cover, the $299 base model Quest 2 also gets a bump in minimum storage from 64GB to 128GB. The $399 256GB model isn't currently in stock on the Oculus website, though Facebook tells The Verge that it expects availability to begin rolling out next week.

MiniHexer

after watching some youtube, I have got the rumours about the quest 2, first off they plan to support it for a long time, so the pro version will be the same but a better cooling sytem to up the clock so it runs Q2 but smoother, so all the Q2 game devs can keep deving for both Q2 and Pro.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 25, 2021, 03:12:44 AM

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/24/22639523/oculus-quest-2-pause-sale-recall-base-model-storage

In addition to the new silicon cover, the $299 base model Quest 2 also gets a bump in minimum storage from 64GB to 128GB. The $399 256GB model isn't currently in stock on the Oculus website, though Facebook tells The Verge that it expects availability to begin rolling out next week.

Interesting about the foam. Those silicon cover might in themselves be a problem because a not insignificant number of people are allergic to silicon, resulting in sometimes severe contact dermatitis. This is why medical gloves are mostly nitrile now.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 25, 2021, 05:33:21 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on August 25, 2021, 03:12:44 AM

Interesting about the foam. Those silicon cover might in themselves be a problem because a not insignificant number of people are allergic to silicon, resulting in sometimes severe contact dermatitis. This is why medical gloves are mostly nitrile now.

That is pretty funny and I didn't think of that.  Ironic that they switched to silicon because of complaints about the foam causing irritation only to risk the same issue with silicon. I was not bothered by the foam, but I requested the silicon "upgrade" just to have. It arrived the other day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MiniHexer on August 25, 2021, 12:10:09 AM
@Staggerwing my first piece of advice to you is to buy SUPERHOT VR (I believe its available for the Quest) and put an order in for a link cable so you can experience desktop power VR.

My advice is to hold off on getting the link cable, unless there is something that is pc based that you absolutely want to run. It sounds to me that you're getting the quest to play with your kid, so the cable is most likely unnecessary and you can save yourself the ridiculous $60. The whole point of the quest is that you can play it anywhere and do not need to link it to a pc, and remember, there is always the air link anyway. You do not need a cable to connect to the pc anymore on the quest.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MiniHexer

edit

Jarhead0331

Yeah...I have six headsets, 5 of which are plugged into a PC, so I have the luxury of not absolutely requiring a cable for the Quest 2 and I can use it as a mobile device the way it was intended. Ultimately, a cable is a good thing to have, but if money is an issue and there is no particular desktop experience you are looking for, I think the over-priced cable can be safely skipped.

That being said, my PC-based experiences have not really been as high-fidelity as what you describe. Most VR games, in my experience, are not "photo-realistic". Some are very exceptional, such as Half-Life Aylx and some of the sandbox based gun games, like Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, but I never really feel like I'm not playing a game. The beauty of VR is the immersive feeling you get from stepping into the virtual world. For me, it still feels like a virtual world, but it is one that I am actually IN. Personally, and in particular, with flight sims and first-person shooters, the attachment to that immersive feeling makes it very hard to go back to traditional 2D style gaming.

I was the same way when I first got VR. My jaw dropped too and I thought it was going to be the end-all, be-all for gaming...but that does wear-off somewhat and the struggle of constantly trying to maximize performance, settings, clarity, etc. does begin to wear you down. I still find myself sometimes playing standard games over VR ones because my time is so limited and I don't want to waste it trying to get everything working the way I expect it too. Much of this frustration comes from DCS, which is very poorly optimized for VR, but when its working and firing on all cylinders...just wow. Its an amazing experience. Still, in general, I would say technical issues are common across the board with PC-based VR applications. Like AZ Tank suggested, the technology still needs to advance.  You can track my experiences through the history of my posts here...from the awe of my first experience through all my experimentation and frustration...its interesting see how my feelings on the technology matured and evolved.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MiniHexer

edit