What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I just finished reading Alan Glenn's Amerikan Eagle late last night. It was surprisingly engrossing and kept me hooked the entire time, which is not easy when it comes to alternate history novels.

The book's divergence from the timeline comes in 1933 when Giuseppe Zangara actually manages to assassinate FDR. FDR's vice president is highly ineffectual, which paves the way for Huey Long to become President. (Might sound like a stretch, but consider that in our timeline, FDR thought Long was one of the most dangerous men in America.) The story revolves around a police inspector in the town of Portsmouth, NH, and a murder investigation that ends up being much more than what it seems at face value.

There's plenty of disturbing things in this novel...disturbing insofar as thinking, "how can this happen in America?" The more I thought about it, the more it seemed plausible. By the end of the novel, I was wishing it was longer.

Staggerwing

^I've heard of that one. I held of on getting it because a lot of contemporary nazi-related alt history is pretty awful. Good to know that one isn't.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

WallysWorld

Finally finished Massie's "Castles of Steel" the other night after first reading through his "Dreadnought". Both books were excellent and many thanks to those who recommended them on this forum.  :)

Started reading  Otto Carius' "Tigers in the Mud". About 20 pages into the book and it's a very good read.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

Massie will soon be one of your favorite writers too...prepare to be assimilated!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Just finished, "Constantine Roman Emperor, Christian Victor" last pm. Good book, not great. Lots of things I never knew about the Big C. but mostly deals with his conversion to Christianity and the realities of his faith vs political needs of ruling an increasingly Christian people. Not a lot of history, more philosophy and VERY deep. But a good read.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

vyshka

Just finished Nemesis Games so now I'm caught up on the Expanse series and just waiting for next book to come out this year.

Currently reading The Innovators by Walter Isaacson.

Gusington

Just started One Second After by William Forschten.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on February 14, 2016, 09:45:21 AM

I got the audio book of that some time ago but never listened to it. Forschten is a good author though, so it should be a good read.

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 14, 2016, 09:45:21 AM

Haven't read that one. Would love to hear what you think once you get into it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

^Seconded

Thomas Cahill, 'Heretics And Heroes: How Renaissance Artists And Reformation Priests Created Our World.'
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on February 14, 2016, 01:08:49 PM
^Seconded

Thomas Cahill, 'Heretics And Heroes: How Renaissance Artists And Reformation Priests Created Our World.'

How is it so far? I read Cahill's How The Irish Saved Civilization about about 15-20 years ago and liked it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I am 70 pages in so far and it is better than The Tomorrow War, which I just finished. Not as jingoistic.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 14, 2016, 01:35:03 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 14, 2016, 01:08:49 PM
^Seconded

How is it so far? I read Cahill's How The Irish Saved Civilization about about 15-20 years ago and liked it.

I like it.  It seems to be written for an audience that is taking the step from being interested in history and knowing a few things after poking around a bit and is now getting deeper into the 'why' of things.  Not anything a well read student of history wouldn't already know or have bumped into.  At least, that's how it seems half way through.  And his writing style is definitely readable.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Right now I'm going between Mustaine, Snow Crash, and Red Phoenix. Snow Crash is weird and Red Phoenix isn't doing it for me, really, though I'll stick with it a bit longer. And I just got a few freebies off of Amazon, plus a 0.99 special for Spitfire!: The Experiences of a Battle of Britain Fighter Pilot.

The Mustaine bio is only $1.99 for the Kindle edition (here in the U.S., anyway).

mirth

Red Phoenix isn't very good. I've tried it a couple times and mostly just skimmed it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus