What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I think I need to track down a copy of Final Countdown and re-read that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 23, 2016, 09:24:34 PM
I think I need to track down a copy of Final Countdown and re-read that.

Is this the novelization of the movie, or some other Final Countdown?

Please don't let it be Europe.

mirth

Novelization of the movie. Or maybe the movie was based on the novel. Anyway, I read the novel first. It was pretty good for alt-history.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 23, 2016, 09:32:01 PM
Novelization of the movie. Or maybe the movie was based on the novel. Anyway, I read the novel first. It was pretty good for alt-history.

+1
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Huh. Better than the movie?

I really enjoyed the movie; it was pretty awesome. The dogfight scenes alone are well worth the time investment in the entire film.

I want to say the game Carrier has a Nimitz variant, too, though I can't recall offhand. I know some game out there has a Nimitz variant because of this movie. :)

Greybriar

Quote from: MetalDog on February 23, 2016, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on February 23, 2016, 11:20:37 AM
I am currently reading Doom of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It is the fourth book in their Dragonships of Vindras series.

My daughter is a Weis and Hickman nut.  How is that series?  I don't think she's read it.

It's easy reading and I am enjoying it. It might interest you to know that the authors also wrote the Dragonlance series and other books for TSR.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 24, 2016, 08:14:54 AM
Huh. Better than the movie?

I really enjoyed the movie; it was pretty awesome. The dogfight scenes alone are well worth the time investment in the entire film.

I want to say the game Carrier has a Nimitz variant, too, though I can't recall offhand. I know some game out there has a Nimitz variant because of this movie. :)

The original Complete Carriers at War from SSG came with a Final Countdown scenario and someone put together a scenario for the Matrix Reboot of the game as well.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

I still have my copy of CCAW. Such a great game.

MetalDog

Quote from: Greybriar on February 24, 2016, 02:08:21 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 23, 2016, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on February 23, 2016, 11:20:37 AM
I am currently reading Doom of the Dragon by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. It is the fourth book in their Dragonships of Vindras series.

My daughter is a Weis and Hickman nut.  How is that series?  I don't think she's read it.

It's easy reading and I am enjoying it. It might interest you to know that the authors also wrote the Dragonlance series and other books for TSR.

Her nuttiness started after I loaned her my Dragons of Autumn Twilight ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on February 24, 2016, 07:57:00 PM
I still have my copy of CCAW. Such a great game.

That it was. I spent quite a while trying to add the USS Macon to the game, complete with Sparrowhawks.

mirth

I never really knew what I was doing with that game, but I had a lot of fun playing it badly.

BanzaiCat

My grandfather had the original CAW for the Apple IIc.

The cover art is terrific:

I played the hell out of that game in the early 80s...it was easily my favorite. And you could go in and create your own scenarios and forces, too...loved doing that, though I generally don't like doing that at all.

"RUN5"

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

JasonPratt

Incidentally, the novel of The Final Countdown came first, and was written by Martin Caidin, the same guy who created the Six Million Dollar Man (also first a novel, though not by that name.)

I remember back in college at UT Knoxville doing a search in the library for his original book, on a whim, and lucking into finding a copy of it in the children's section.

Note: this is not a children's book. At all. Which darkly amused me, but I made sure to point out its misfiling when I returned it. Clearly it had been put there because some geek recognized it as the source material for the show (also not often a children's show really), but it seemed a first edition or anyway published before the first three hit TV movies as the publisher had made no attempt at tying in for marketing. So it wasn't as though kids looking for the Six Million Dollar Man would find it there. (Also I'm not overly sure any kids young enough to be in that section of the library would even know who Steve Austin or the character otherwise was.)

The book itself was an odd case of being closer to the eventual form of the TV show than the original trio of TV movies, although the plot had been closely adapted for the original TV movie. If I recall correctly, the "mission" part of the book's plot however (only about 1/3 to 1/4 of the book) was replaced by a mid-east terrorist plot for the first TV movie, and was ported to the main plot of a subsequent movie. But it's been a good 20 years or more since I read it, so I may be misremembering.

Anyway. Final Countdown, same author. :)

(Though it's entirely possible the movie was novelized, too, by Alan Dean Foster or someone like that.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 25, 2016, 07:21:16 AM
My grandfather had the original CAW for the Apple IIc.

Get off my lawn!  :tickedoff:

BanzaiCat