Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyebiter

Rise of the Fighter Generals: The Problems of Air Force Leadership, 1945-1982

republic

I'm just starting Termite Hill by Tom Wilson

Bison

MetalDog

I just finished The Birth of the Nazis: How the Freikorps Blazed A Trail For Hitler by Nigel Jones. I just now started The Perils Of Peace by Thomas Fleming.  It details the two years following Yorktown.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Inspired by our conversation from the other thread, I've just started The Red Badge of Courage; it's the first time I've reread it in ages. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

After finishing The Shining I moved on to The Ritual by Adam Neville, a much more recent and excellent horror story. And a quick read too, I am almost done with it after about 6 days. I think I am moving on to Neuromancer next.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Neuromancer, Gus.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Just started it this morning, only about 10 pages in. I've been on a great roll lately, finishing up books in days instead of weeks. Making more room on my bookcases for...more :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Longdan

I have been thinking about getting one of them kobo or kindle or whatever newfangled thingy they are.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Bison

Kindles are pretty sweet but I seem to recall Migs or someone saying that there was an issue getting the books off Amazon in Canada.

Airborne Rifles

Collapse by Jared Diamond, his follow-up to Guns, Germs, and Steel.  I just finished 1493: Uncovering the World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Longdan on January 27, 2013, 08:50:48 PM
I have been thinking about getting one of them kobo or kindle or whatever newfangled thingy they are.

I absolutely love mine.  Beats carrying 20 pounds of books all over the world like I used to.

Bison

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 28, 2013, 07:35:13 AM
Collapse by Jared Diamond, his follow-up to Guns, Germs, and Steel.  I just finished 1493: Uncovering the World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann.

Guns, Germs, and Steel was pretty good.  I found some of his hypothesis in Collapse to be a little far fetched to be honest.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Bison on January 28, 2013, 08:03:29 AM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 28, 2013, 07:35:13 AM

Guns, Germs, and Steel was pretty good.  I found some of his hypothesis in Collapse to be a little far fetched to be honest.

I'm just starting it.  Honestly what I enjoy most is what I learn from the book via his vignettes and arguments.

JasonPratt

On the Kindle topic, my parents wanted to buy me one a couple of years ago for Christmas, and I let them talk me into doing it. I love physical books, though, of which I still have a ton sitting around I haven't read, so for a year the poor thing languished over in a corner on its charger. :(

The spring after the NEXT Christmas, I wanted to grab some various Bible translations for research--which isn't always cheap by the way--and I figured the Kindle would lend itself to that pretty well. So I got those four translations, which ironically I'm sure I've never read over ten pages total between them (having found some other research texts that were more helpful), and that led to me importing my pdf and doc files to the Kindle for ease of access, which led to me buying some old scanned books from Amazon that had been Kindleized (not very well by the way, buyer beware), which led to me having several hundred things on my Kindle today. I even rebought most of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (having stopped before Crossroads of Twilight), so I could read through it again in preparation for the grand finale.

So I guess I like it. (But get the model with satellite linkage.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!