What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

Sure, as long as you don't use it to buy maple flavored ribbed condoms like I've warned you about before.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2013, 07:24:19 AM
Sure, as long as you don't use it to buy maple flavored ribbed condoms like I've warned you about before.

I only want 7.95 a month for NetFlix. So I can watch the crack whore on the series Breaking Bad. My friend Jay says she's hot in a weird way.

Gusington

I need to watch Breaking Bad too. Now you have me intrigued.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Windigo on September 05, 2013, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 05, 2013, 07:24:19 AM

I only want 7.95 a month for NetFlix. So I can watch the crack whore on the series Breaking Bad. My friend Jay says she's hot in a weird way.

Or you can watch the prison lesbians in Orange is the New Black.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Or The Man from Nowhere or Arahan.

Windigo

Don't listen to them Dad.... 

BanzaiCat

UGESH SARCAR'S 3RD DEGREE!

...wait, no, that's too easy, because that show truly sucks bilbo's baggins.

Gusington

Hahaha!!

There is some great lovecraftian stuff on Netflix too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I finally finished off Edward Rutherfurd's The Rebels of Ireland this morning.  While overall I enjoyed it, I confess the last few chapters were disappointing, including the end.  In general, the two-book series was a nice jaunt through Irish history, but it felt rather shallow to me. 

Next up, something a little different:  The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin.  I remember reading (and liking) it when I was ten or so, and was recently motivated to peruse its pages once more. 

I've already read several chapters, and I marvel that it's considered a children's story.  True, the writing isn't exactly adult per se, but I don't know that I would ever let my kid read (if I had one), at least not until they were a certain age.  Indeed, I'm now somewhat astonished my folks let *me* read it at the age I did (even if I was always reading a couple levels beyond most kids my age). 

Anyway, it's as enjoyable as I remember; definitely a good book so far.  It'll be a quick one too, obviously, but I don't mind that. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Martok on September 08, 2013, 03:18:59 PM

Next up, something a little different:  The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin.  I remember reading (and liking) it when I was ten or so, and was recently motivated to peruse its pages once more. 

I've already read several chapters, and I marvel that it's considered a children's story.  True, the writing isn't exactly adult per se, but I don't know that I would ever let my kid read (if I had one), at least not until they were a certain age.  Indeed, I'm now somewhat astonished my folks let *me* read it at the age I did (even if I was always reading a couple levels beyond most kids my age). 

Anyway, it's as enjoyable as I remember; definitely a good book so far.  It'll be a quick one too, obviously, but I don't mind that.

I had to read this for a high school English class. I never really got it. I've never run into anyone outside of that class who has read it, though.  You're right, it definitely doesn't come across as a children's book.

JasonPratt

I love that book (of the Dun Cow)! -- but dang the sequel is suicidally horrid.

As much as I love the first book I ought to give the sequel another chance, I guess, if I can find it in my stacks somewhere, although I suspect I threw it away. ;) But there's a reason why it isn't as (relatively) famous as the first book.

And yeah, there's no way I'd read even the first book to my nieces at their age. That's a young adult fantasy (at least) posing as a 'children's' story. Granted, kids nowadays aren't as tough as they used to be, but still...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

^Great book! I have been thinking about re-reading Sarum recently. Rutherford also wrote one about London that fits nicely inside the greater narrative as well as a book about the history of Russia which I have yet to read.

EDIT: Just clicked your link. Looks like Rutherford wrote a few more books as well that I might need to check out including a (Gus Alert!) one about New York.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys