What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

theres a google search weve not explored

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

surprisingly as one word a google search came back with zero result.   :o
as two words the images are mundane and not related to the words at all.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Almost halfway into Path of Daggers, I'm starting to wonder if I've had false memories implanted into me. 

Seriously, I'm not seeing the slog that everyone talks about books 7-10 being (and that I thought I remembered)...at least I haven't as of yet.  Or maybe the pacing in CoS and PoD *is*, in fact, slower than in the first six books, but because I was expecting it to be so much worse than it actually is, I'm pleasantly surprised the storylines are moving along as well as they are.  I don't know. 

Perhaps books 9 & 10 (Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight) will still be brutally slow, and thus still ultimately "fulfill" my expectations.  In the meantime, though, I'm happy to discover that I was at least wrong about how difficult it would be to get through books 7 & 8.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

It's been seven or eight years since I last tried WoT.  I stopped after Book 7 or 8.  Part of the problem WAS pacing.  Part of it was the shear VOLUME of words and pages.  It takes a dedication of time to coherently read & digest all that information.  And I don't know about anyone else, but, rare is the time that I have to devote four, five, six hours to reading.  Otherwise, the twenty to sixty minutes you get at bed time drags the thing out in an interminable slog.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

I rarely read more than an hour or two a day myself anymore.  I guess for me, it just means it extends the time I get to spend with books I enjoy. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

you need to take longer shits.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Martok on June 29, 2014, 10:37:28 AM
Almost halfway into Path of Daggers, I'm starting to wonder if I've had false memories implanted into me. 

Seriously, I'm not seeing the slog that everyone talks about books 7-10 being (and that I thought I remembered)...at least I haven't as of yet.  Or maybe the pacing in CoS and PoD *is*, in fact, slower than in the first six books, but because I was expecting it to be so much worse than it actually is, I'm pleasantly surprised the storylines are moving along as well as they are.  I don't know. 

Perhaps books 9 & 10 (Winter's Heart and Crossroads of Twilight) will still be brutally slow, and thus still ultimately "fulfill" my expectations.  In the meantime, though, I'm happy to discover that I was at least wrong about how difficult it would be to get through books 7 & 8.  :)

I had the same thing happen 2nd time through. I think the first time it seems slow because you want to get to the last battle. When you know the book wont get you there, you relax. Read it for what it is. It is still wordy, just not painful.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

DoctorQuest

Long story short I got an ipad mini for my 25th year service award. I am exploring the world of free kindle and ibooks.

Finally reading a lot of the classics. Currently working on "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne.  I just finished Conan Doyle's "The Lost World".

The cool part is now that I figured out I can read Kindle books I can grab all the free military books you guys post about.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

One of our very fine, and truly awesome forumites, has been kind enough to send me a Nook that had been gathering dust in a drawer.  Gratis.  For which I will be eternally grateful.  I plan to put it to good use with as many free books as possible.  Maybe a few bought ones, too :)

On another note, I have picked up the second book by Sherwood Smith, 'The Fox,' from the library only yesterday.  Having read the first book, 'Inda,' I was glad to see my local library had the first three volumes.  It has a decidedly Indian flavor with a lot of political intrigue, royalty, war and uncertainty.  It's a fantasy setting, but not in an, 'in your face,' sort of way.  There is a subplot where some scholarly women are looking for information on magic in order to use it for the defense of their homes.  There are small spells used in every day life, like the Waste Spell and the Disappearance Spell, the former disposes of bodily fluids and solids and the latter of bodies themselves.  Other than that, there's nothing else to speak of.  Yet.

What really strikes me is the characters.  There are many.  And even the minor ones appear frequently enough for you to become familiar with.  The main character is Inda, a prince and second son, who is bound to become his older brothers Shield Arm, or war leader.  Inda is sent to the Academy for training in the arts of war.  His older brother is already there, a couple of years older than Inda.  And his older sister is there, too, as she is betrothed to the Royal Heir, or Sierlaef.  Inda is ten years old. 

The rest of the book details the character and interactions of all the various players.  It's well told.  Engaging.  Believable.  And I don't think I can remember ever reading another book like it.  It's not, 'GoT, set in India.  It stands on its own and is a really good story.

TheCommandTent

In honor of the 100 anniversary of WWI I just started Guns of August.

*edit because I can't do math ................
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

mirth

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 01, 2014, 10:31:55 PM
In honor of the 150 anniversary of WWI I just started Guns of August.

A true classic. This would be a good time for me to give it another read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

You're not a math teacher, are you Tent?

mirth