What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

That belly could be the dad's beer gut.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on September 17, 2014, 01:12:37 PM
I'm now just about halfway through The Gathering Storm in The Wheel of Time...and pardon my Klingon, but holy fucking shit!!  :o 

In a loose sort of way this was Moridin's plan the whole time, which seems self-defeating but then (as subsequent books indicate) Moridin really just wants to finally die -- which doesn't make much sense of his behavior in earlier books, and seems rather retconny.  ::)

Consequently when this fails, Moridin effectively gives up for the final two books and just hopelessly marks time.

Fortunately, the real Nae'blis takes over.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2014, 09:01:20 AM
Quote from: Martok on September 17, 2014, 01:12:37 PM
I'm now just about halfway through The Gathering Storm in The Wheel of Time...and pardon my Klingon, but holy fucking shit!!  :o 

In a loose sort of way this was Moridin's plan the whole time, which seems self-defeating but then (as subsequent books indicate) Moridin really just wants to finally die -- which doesn't make much sense of his behavior in earlier books, and seems rather retconny.  ::)

Consequently when this fails, Moridin effectively gives up for the final two books and just hopelessly marks time.

Fortunately, the real Nae'blis takes over.  >:D
Huh?? 

What the frak are you talking about, Jason?  I was referring to Rand's using the True Power, and his subsequent killing of Semirhage and Elza... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

Just finished "The Golden Princess: A Novel of the Change" by S.M. Stirling. 

Good book, but this is setting up another series of novels in this universe with the 3rd generation of people.  Three trilogies, three generations.  Almost nobody from the first trilogy is still alive - and the ones who are are very old and no longer in leadership positions.

airboy

Just finished "Hate Mail from Cheerleaders" which is a book of Sports Illustrated columns by their human interest writer.  It was very good.

vyshka

Finished Streams of Silver, and The Halfling's Gem. Also finished The Cathedral and the Bazaar. I started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Cryptonomicon.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

in a 100 years we're going to look like, in a political sense, suck fucking idiots.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

I wish we could download books to our memory while we sleep. I have so much to read I feel guilty reading about Harry Seldon leaving the university when there are serious books to be read.

MetalDog

You should never feel guilty about reading Asimov.  He's smarter than any two of us and his works will make you smarter just by knowing about them
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Mr. Bigglesworth

Gusington

I will always remember the first Foundation book I read. I think I read it in junior high.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

I was always a fantasy reader.  Never considered Sci-fi until High School.  They offered a Sci-fi lit and a Mythology class as electives.  I took both of them.  I really enjoyed the sci-fi I read after that.  Asimov, Clarke, Pournelle and Niven.  A lot of classic stuff.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

I have to admit that Ive never gotten around to the Foundation series.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.