What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Yet another kindle freebie.

I swear, these days I buy the occasional kindle book just from feeling guilty about getting so many freebies.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

That is actually a fun book. worth downloading.
Many laughs.

Martok

I've done it.  I've finally done it. 

After approximately 8 months -- about 1 month longer than I'd initially estimated -- I've finished reading The Wheel of Time.  At the moment, I'm both drained and a little numb.  Will post thoughts once I've had a chance to ruminate. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Decidedly, this new pomade, it is a marvel for the moustaches!" - ?
:-)

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on November 06, 2014, 09:56:16 PM
"Decidedly, this new pomade, it is a marvel for the moustaches!" - ?
:-)

Exercising "ze leetle grey cells"?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

The mystery never had a chance.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on November 06, 2014, 03:00:27 PM
I've done it.  I've finally done it.

Twill be curious about your thoughts.

I'll know Sunday night (or Monday morning) whether little-author-sister Marie Brennan won this year's World Fantasy Novel of the Year. Her fellow novelist in that promotional video upthread (the other Marie  8) ) won the Hugo for her book! The only other top 3 sf/f novel award is the Nebula, which neither one would qualify for.

Her friends are naturally super-hyped for her.  ;D Even being a finalist is a big deal.

Now that you've finished WoT, Martok, you might appreciate her own re-read analysis of the series: http://swan-tower.livejournal.com/567134.html
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I just posted a thread on this question, but figured I'd ask it here, too, in case someone knows the answer who isn't looking at the thread titles.

Put shortly, the Black Library won't take my money (anymore?) because I'm a stinking Yankee or something. ;)

I started reading the Horus Heresy series a few months back, bought Horus Rising and Descent of Angels in a couple of different physical formats (because the ebooks weren't the slightest bit less expensive); but then decided the portability of having ebooks was better even though not less expensive. So I bought another couple of prequels to HR, (Promethean Sun and Legion) as mobi formats, i.e. native to Kindle. (I think a new pre-HR book has been recently released, but in a special audio enhanced format thus only as an epub -- which might or might not work on old Kindles, I don't know.)

(That's a question, too, but not the main one.)

The main problem is that even though I must have bought those two ebooks somewhere, and I'm 99.99999% sure I remember buying them from the Black Library (which is the only place I know that sells the ebook formats), they don't take US cash anymore or convert the currencies. Or if they do, I don't know how to trigger that.

I can put the books in my cart, and sign in with my account, and do a few other things up to a point, but eventually the site says I can't buy the books because my credit card's billing address is in the US. It never gives me a chance to tell it I want to pay by Paypal instead of credit card.

I sent a tech support message to the BL a week or so ago, but haven't gotten a reply yet. So I thought I'd poll anyone here who uses them from the United States (or not-Britain maybe ;) ) to see if anyone has had a similar problem or knows how to trigger US currency on the site.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Staggerwing

See my reply in your thread.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Argh, haven't heard yet whether Marie won or not last night. I'm inclined to think that means she didn't win, but it could be internet things.

The finalist book is A Natural History of Dragons by the way; forgot to re-mention that last time.  :uglystupid2: I would Amazon link to it but my Amazon link capabilities aren't working this morning for some inscrutable and probably old-browser-related reason. (Every other Amazon capability seems to be working, just not book links.  ??? Weird.)

Update: winner was A Stranger in Olondria by Sofia Samatar. That's a win for small press, too, I think.

vyshka

I wrapped up the Riftwar Saga reading Magician: Master, Silverthorn, and Darkness at Sethanon. I also read World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects Part 2. Now back to the rest of the Foundation series.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

vyshka

Quote from: MetalDog on November 10, 2014, 11:16:58 PM
How did you like Feist?

I enjoyed it. At some point I will probably continue to read more of the Riftwar Cycle.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Reading

He has a zen like way with words. The writing is wonderful, somehow filling in what I have been missing in a lot of recent fictional reading.

JasonPratt

^^ Is that an antique edition there?!