What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: airboy on November 25, 2014, 09:20:05 PM

I'm also almost finished with a rereading (audio) of the Guns of August.  What has struck me this time through is that Lord Kitchener seems to be the only major figure at the start of the war that thought it would last for years and involve armies of millions.  The stupidity of the Kaiser is always there in any book on WW1 political/military situation.

It strikes me that we are in the same position again. If MAD is not working as a deterrent, you have the mass slaughter of WWI again. We very quickly need to get to a point where the power of defensive systems are an order of magnitude greater than offensive systems.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Martok

Having just finished my annual rereading of Allen Dean Foster's The Damned trilogy, I've now begun reading (again, although it's been a couple years) Patrick by Stephen R. Lawhead. 

Quote from: airboy on November 25, 2014, 09:20:05 PM
I have been rereading Bimbos of the Death Sun for the first time in a decade.  It is a wonderful, light murder-mystery at a Science Fiction Con.  If you have ever been to a Con, you will see lots of archetypes in the book.
I really need to get my hands on a copy.  I read (and enjoyed) that one many years ago, and have long itched to read it again. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

I have finished Heritage of Cyador by L.E. Modesitt Jr.  Excellent read.

OJsDad

Just finished Red Winter by Colin Taber.  It's the second book in the United States of Vinland.  The writing is a little weak, but the story is good.  Would like it if he talked more about developing the settlements and what they need, besides more people, to start new settlements.  For $5, it's worth it. 

I cannot wait for the next book so I can throw more money at the author. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

TacticalWargames

Just finished Prague Fatale: A Bernie Gunther Novel by P Kerr.

Another great read in the series. Berlin Noir is well worth buying aswell.

GDS_Starfury

I was surprised to see this at B&N the other day.  chances are I'll pick it up before the weekends over.
http://www.amazon.com/Death-Leaping-Horseman-Division-Stalingrad/dp/0811714047
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Barthheart

JasonPratt

^^ Or at glowing dots. :)

(Or at... whatever ePearl is? Like an etch-a-sketch?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Skwerl

The Compleat Adventures of Jules de Grandin Volume 2.  Volume One was excellent and this one has been great so far.

vyshka

Currently reading Second Foundation, and Mark Fabi's Wyrm. In the past month I read Edding's Belgariad series, and 2 books of essays about Soviet Chess players by Genna Sosonko - The Reliable Past and The Smart Chip from St. Petersburg.

MetalDog

I liked the Belgariad, but, it was way too Lord of the Rings for me.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

vyshka

Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2014, 09:06:06 PM

A guilty pleasure from childhood.

MetalDog

Quote from: vyshka on December 13, 2014, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on December 13, 2014, 09:06:06 PM

A guilty pleasure from childhood.

That's when I read it, too.  I read fantasy almost exclusively as a youth.  I read Terry Brook's 'Sword of Shannara,' a VERY derivative series by Dennis L. McKiernan, that was commissioned to be as much like LotR as possible, 'Dragonlance,' by Weis & Hickman, Feist's 'Magician,' series.  A host of stuff.  Some good, some bad.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob