What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Winter by L Deighton is a great novel, so is Bomber.

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:50:00 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2015, 07:23:36 PM
Thanks Bawb, I'll send you the receipt. UCG that book above sounds a bit like Fatherland and a bit like The Afrika Reich...

Also sounds a little bit like SS:GB by Len Deighton.

Martok

Having finished off the King Raven trilogy -- which was (happily) even better than I remembered -- I've finally begun diving back into the X-Wing series (my own copies this time!), starting of course with Rogue Squadron.  Have quickly started remembering how much I enjoyed the books the first (and until now, only) time I read them. 

The series is definitely a must-read for anyone who enjoys/is interested in the expanded universe.  IMHO, Stackpole & Alston's collaborative work was nearly as important in establishing the Star Wars EU as Timothy Zahn's was. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

While waiting for my book on WWII German armor to arrive, I will be reading "Target America: Hitler's Plan to Attack the United States" by James Duffy and "Hitler's Jet Plane: The Me 262 Story" by Mano Ziegler.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on January 27, 2015, 07:52:18 PM
While waiting for my book on WWII German armor to arrive, I will be reading "Target America: Hitler's Plan to Attack the United States" by James Duffy and "Hitler's Jet Plane: The Me 262 Story" by Mano Ziegler.

The story of the development of Me262 will sound a bit like that of the F-35.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

Quote from: Martok on January 27, 2015, 03:50:05 PM
Having finished off the King Raven trilogy -- which was (happily) even better than I remembered -- I've finally begun diving back into the X-Wing series (my own copies this time!), starting of course with Rogue Squadron.  Have quickly started remembering how much I enjoyed the books the first (and until now, only) time I read them. 

The series is definitely a must-read for anyone who enjoys/is interested in the expanded universe.  IMHO, Stackpole & Alston's collaborative work was nearly as important in establishing the Star Wars EU as Timothy Zahn's was.

Amazon link?  Heavy on star fighter pew pew?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

I for one want to know UGeek's impressions of The Eye of the World if he's gotten to it yet.  O:-)

Something the other day reminded me that, for all of its several faults, it's such a great example of taking the "Chosen One" trope and running it both completely straight and in an inversion simultaneously: Rejoice! You've been chosen to gain great power to save the world! Also, you'll go so insane in the process you could screw the whole thing up at any moment, actually worse than ever before, and naturally most people in the world will want to murder/exploit you because of that. No, the insanity isn't an option. No, being chosen to save the world isn't an option. Good luck, dawg. PS, oh and you're going to die. Try not to do that before you figure out how to give the world a fighting chance at surviving for another few thousand years.

I would dearly love to adapt it into a TV series with a planned number of seasons. Oh well. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Am now a fair ways into Wedge's Gamble, the second book in the X-Wing series.  Am enjoying it thoroughly, but seeing the cover stirred up a serious case of nerd rage, as it has that horrible "Legends" label on it.  :tickedoff: 

Quote from: Toonces on January 28, 2015, 02:32:42 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 27, 2015, 03:50:05 PM

Amazon link?  Heavy on star fighter pew pew?
Not Amazon (they only cover the individual books), but the Star Wars wiki gives a good, yet still succinct, description.  "Star Wars meets Top Gun" describes it pretty well, I'd say. 

Given that the series is something of an "inter-quel" (helps fill in the gaps and tie in other books/series in the SW expanded universe), it helps if you've read some of the other EU novels, particularly the Thrawn trilogy by Zahn.  (If you're even a moderate Star Wars fan, the Thrawn trilogy is practically a must-read anyway. O0 )  It's not necessary, however; the X-Wing books are very enjoyable on their own. 

And yes, the books have plenty of "pew pew" in them.  ;)  Some more so than others, of course, but none of them are lacking in the combat scenes department. 

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 28, 2015, 03:49:46 PM
I for one want to know UGeek's impressions of The Eye of the World if he's gotten to it yet.  O:-)

Something the other day reminded me that, for all of its several faults, it's such a great example of taking the "Chosen One" trope and running it both completely straight and in an inversion simultaneously: Rejoice! You've been chosen to gain great power to save the world! Also, you'll go so insane in the process you could screw the whole thing up at any moment, actually worse than ever before, and naturally most people in the world will want to murder/exploit you because of that. No, the insanity isn't an option. No, being chosen to save the world isn't an option. Good luck, dawg. PS, oh and you're going to die. Try not to do that before you figure out how to give the world a fighting chance at surviving for another few thousand years.

I would dearly love to adapt it into a TV series with a planned number of seasons. Oh well. :)
Heh, well said Jason.  All of it.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just started Wehrmacht Panzer Divisions: 1939-1945 by Jorge Rosado, an Essential Histories book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm currently finishing up God Wills It! A Tale of the First Crusade (Kindle free), and just started Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett in paper book form. 

I'm also working on The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy (again) and The Plantagenets.  I really need to learn to focus on one book at a time...    ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

I tried 'Pillars of the Earth' a long time ago but couldn't get into it and put it away. I was looking forward to seeing Medieval construction novelized since I've long had an interest in the subject but the story was just not captivating enough to get me to the payoff. Should I give it another go 20 years later?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I enjoyed 'Pillars of the Earth.'  Not my usual fare, but, it's well told. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TacticalWargames

JUst got in the post..

The Larks: Wars are fought by ordinary people by Shaw, Jem

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1484060830?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Imperial Germany's Iron Regiment of the First World War: War Memories of Service With Infantry Regiment 169 - 1914/1918 by Rieth, John K.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0692301208?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Death of the Leaping Horseman: The 24th Panzer Division in Stalingrad by Jason D. Mark (Completes by Jason Mark collection, just love his books)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0811714047?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

In the Shade of a Willow: A Novel of the Great War by Todhunter, Chris

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0957424426?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

FOUR YEARS ON THE WESTERN FRONT by Rifleman, A. (Had this before, but my ex destroyed it. One of the great WW1 memoirs)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/184342035X?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

The German Army in the Spring Offensives 1917: Arras, Aisne and Champagne by Jack Sheldon (pre ordered as this series is just superb. So every time a new one comes out I'm on it. Really great chap aswell)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1783463457/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2VYVCXQRXDQX1&coliid=I3VVXS17MBMW8

Plus a few more Sven Hassel books as I just love the escapism of them.

Should keep me going for awhile. Though I need  another bookcase!

TacticalWargames

Those who enjoy graphic novels I recommend.

It Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques Tardi and Goddamn This War! by Jacques Tardi. Both set during WW1.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Was-War-Trenches-Jacques-Tardi/dp/1606993534/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goddamn-This-War-Jacques-Tardi/dp/1606995820/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

He has also done two others set in later conflicts.

Just noticed you can get them together in a special 100th anniversary set. The first one is classed as a master piece and won awards at the time of release.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tardis-WW1-Year-Trenches-Goddamn-x/dp/1606997696/ref=pd_cp_b_1

Also this a a beautiful book that I can't recommend enough!

The Great War by Joe Sacco. Superb artwork in an amazing fold out panorama of the Somme!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-War-Joe-Sacco/dp/0224097717/ref=pd_sim_b_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EVDHZXX38DME5QFR4E7

Mr. Bigglesworth

Area 51 by Bob Mayer. Not bad at 43% through.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

About to start The End, by Ian Kershaw, about the fall of Germany, 1944-1945.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd