What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Quote from: Greybriar on April 13, 2015, 07:28:28 PM
I am currently reading The War of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz.

I just finished the first 2 books and really quite enjoyed them. May well download the 3rd book later today.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Taking a break from antiquity for a bit and going back to WWII. Beginning Jagdpanther vs. SU-100 by David Higgins (published by Osprey) tonight. Short book. So in a couple of days I will then begin Hitler's Jet Plane by Mano Ziegler. I may finally read The End by Ian Kershaw after that, but Order of Battle may be out by then and so I will begin 1941 by Eri Hotta and then Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Halfway through 'when Christ and his saints slept'

I'm so ready for total war medieval 3

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

its a fictional account of the succession wars in England after the White Ship sank - Maude and Stephen the generation before Henry II (my favourite Medieval King)

BanzaiCat

I read a couple of books about what it's like to work on a cruise ship, while on a cruise a couple of weeks ago...one was good, the other made it painfully obvious that some people should not self-publish.

Of note, during that vacation week I also finally started reading Ready Player One (just finished it last night). It took me forever to get to it but once I did, I was hooked. It amazed me how many pop cultural references the author made to movies, TV shows, and music from the 80s...really makes me wonder how they were legally able to get away with dropping the names they did. If this book has been on your radar or you have not gotten to it yet, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you do, especially if you grew up in the 80s like I did. :)

Toonces

I have just about finished Stonewall in the Valley, which Peaceflower (where'd he go, anyway) put up as a freebie for Kindle on Amazon a while back.  It was pretty good; I didn't realize how critical Jackson's Valley campaign was to the early Confederate war effort.

I have just re-started for the third time Catton's Mr. Lincoln's Army, vol. 1.  I enjoyed Catton's Civil War trilogy, so this should be a good book.

I have about 10 other Civil War books in my queue, so I may dabble into something else on my Kindle shortly...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

I'm thinking of getting U.S. Grant's memoirs for my Kindle...it's only $0.99 and over 600 pages. Has anyone here read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Memoirs-Ulysses-S-Grant-ebook/dp/B004FPYV9C/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Toonces. I grabbed all of the ones you suggested.

I had read Joshua Chamberlain's memoirs and reviewed it for That Other WebsiteTM. I otherwise haven't really delved into Civil War-era memoirs.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 16, 2015, 01:22:56 PM
I'm thinking of getting U.S. Grant's memoirs for my Kindle...it's only $0.99 and over 600 pages. Has anyone here read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Memoirs-Ulysses-S-Grant-ebook/dp/B004FPYV9C/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

I have. They're great! Very easy to read, witty (Mark Twain helped him compose the document), some subtle humor, and largely honest. Despite the length I thought it was an easy and enjoyable read.

Bit of trivia: Longstreet was best man at Grant's wedding.

Mr. Bigglesworth

"something better than the nonsense being mouthed by our commanders. (My favorite last week was the American general who claimed Falluja had "broken the back" of the insurgency. Insurgencies, like octopi, are invertebrate"
Lind, 2004

Lol
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Nefaro

Finally starting Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the Bloody Fight for His Empire.

I was delayed by how long it took to read the full title.  :P

bbmike

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 16, 2015, 01:22:56 PM

Nice! Couldn't say no at that price.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Nef - I'm going to be reading Ghost on a Throne very soon...post impressions!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd