What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Thanks Nef. Since I have a lot less knowledge of the subject hopefully the abrupt cut off won't be as abrupt for me. Although even I expected Ghost on the Throne to cover the Succession Wars in detail.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 13, 2015, 08:26:14 AM
Although even I expected Ghost on the Throne to cover the Succession Wars in detail.

It covers approximately the first decade after Alexander's death, after starting with some details on the situation just beforehand.  But the detailed info only lasts for about the first eight years then abruptly tapers off to a quick end. 

It was enlightening about that part, but never got into the empires & dynasties which emerged from it.  There was pretty much nothing about Ptolemy and Seleucus, for example. 

Gusington

Any recommendations? There are a few titles on the Seleucids but they are pricey. Maybe a general volume on the Succession Wars? I know of one or two that have been around for a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2015, 06:55:54 AM
Any recommendations? There are a few titles on the Seleucids but they are pricey. Maybe a general volume on the Succession Wars? I know of one or two that have been around for a while.

Dunno.. I'd also like a good one covering the whole of the Succession Wars.

I know some of it is rather spotty regarding sources, as many things are from that period.  But I'd like one complete & chronological read on it, as quality as that might be.

bob48

Just downloaded 'Collision of Empires; The War on the Eastern Front 1914'.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Finished up Tides of War while eating my lunch this morning at work.  I seriously I think I appreciate it more every time I read it. 

Am now waiting for the library system to let me know that Guy Gavriel Kay's Lions of Al-Rassan has come in.  (Of course my local branch didn't have a copy -- poop. :( )  Will plow through some old Star Trek "dime" novels for filler til it arrives... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Collision of Empires is one I've been looking to get for a long time too, Bawb. Let us know what you think.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Did a quick search for Succession Wars and Diodochi Wars on Amazon and found this little gem - not quite what I was looking for but pretty interesting looking:

http://www.amazon.com/War-Elephants-John-M-Kistler/dp/0803260040/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431649971&sr=1-2&keywords=Diadochi+Wars

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

You are in for a treat, Martok.  I can't wait to hear your impressions when you're done!   :)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2015, 07:34:08 PM
Did a quick search for Succession Wars and Diodochi Wars on Amazon and found this little gem - not quite what I was looking for but pretty interesting looking:

http://www.amazon.com/War-Elephants-John-M-Kistler/dp/0803260040/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431649971&sr=1-2&keywords=Diadochi+Wars

I compare any successes of ancient war elephants to that of the Spartans.  It was as much (or more) due to the imposing reputation and intimidation of their opponents.  In both cases, their opposition often wavered before contact was ever made.   But when opposed with a good steadfast defense, they could be beaten. 

Alexander figured out how to counter war elephants in no time, for example, but he and his generals adopted their use after seeing the potential as both a terror weapon and badge of prestige.  Their elephants were always given positions of importance/rank within the army, such as being located closer to the royal tents in camp than most of the army.

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2015, 06:47:54 PM
Collision of Empires is one I've been looking to get for a long time too, Bawb. Let us know what you think.

Will do, Gus. I've only just started it, so I'll let you know.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Thank you Bawb...you are a scholar-gentleman and a great mustache farmer.

Nef I just dig war elephants because of the kewl armor :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

You secretly think, if you had an appendage like that, all the women would love you.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

Correct but it's no secret.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on May 15, 2015, 01:54:22 AM
You are in for a treat, Martok.  I can't wait to hear your impressions when you're done!   :)
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it.  I'm bummed that I won't have it to bring with me this weekend, but I suppose I shall manage to suffer through.  ;) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces