What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 12, 2015, 01:50:17 PM
Do you feel the silky spider love?

Martok does.  Every night.  When he's sleeping.

airboy

At the link is a breakdown of advanced sales by an established SF author.  Note - audible sales were the single biggest category.  Foreign sales were also a big portion of the total.

See: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2015/08/10/the-state-of-a-genre-title-2015/

airboy

I am rereading the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg.  I've completed the first 2 books of the first 5.  I'm about a third of the way through book 3.

MetalDog

That's a blast from the past there, airboy!  It's been a long time since I read them, but, I seem to remember that they got worse as they went.  I think he did, Magic Kingdom For Sale: SOLD!  I liked that.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Just began The Great War of Our Time: The CIA's Fight Against Terrorism from alQaida to ISIS by Michael Morell and Bill Harlow.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

About half way through Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson by S.C. Gwynn. Maybe the best ACW book I've come across.

BanzaiCat

I'm still slowly making my way through A Time for Trumpets, about the Battle of the Bulge. Finished Red Storm Rising again, probably the 25th time or so I've read it over the years.

I also started a book called In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (http://www.amazon.com/In-Sunburned-Country-Bill-Bryson/dp/0767903862). He's an excellent author and in this one, writes of his experiences from several trips Down Under. The book is older (published in 2001), but it's really good, and he does go on at length at times about what can kill you in Australia. ;D

He's written a lot of books, but the only other one I've read thus far (twice now, actually) is The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, where he talks about his life growing up in Des Moines, Iowa, in the 1950s. Overall he's very much a history buff and likes to write about such things at length, and I've enjoyed his work so far.

Sir Slash

Germany Ascendant : WWI Eastern Front book #2 should be released today. Hope to have my grubby prints on it soon if Amazon will cooperate.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

About halfway through The Long Earth, by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Gusington

Slash - there's a book 2? Written by the same author?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes. Book 1 was "Collision of Empires" covering 1914 East Front only, including Serbia of course. The second book covers 1915 and a third will finish out WWI in the east. All by Prit Buttar. The first book was a great read for me being somewhat ignorant of WWI in the east. One little niggly complaint was the maps weren't very detailed or helpful in understanding what's going on and where. And some of the battles are very fluid and hard to follow. But I liked it and can't wait for book 2. Should be here tomorrow.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 18, 2015, 11:21:00 AM
I'm still slowly making my way through A Time for Trumpets, about the Battle of the Bulge. Finished Red Storm Rising again, probably the 25th time or so I've read it over the years.

Do you find when you reread a book several times that you pickup on things that you either don't remember or you missed in previous readings. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

^ Sometimes. It's been a while since I've picked up Red Storm Rising and there were a few particular scenes I don't remember despite having read it so many times.

I had read A Time for Trumpets many years ago, once (late 80s or so). That book is rather heavy on details in the trenches and not so much the big picture, which is an interesting perspective.

Pinetree

Just finished the last book of the Black Company Chronicles. It's a shame it's finished, I loved every word of this series.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."