What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finished Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbour, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles Seen Through Japanese Eyes by Capt. Hara Tameichi last week.  It was quite good.  He was pretty critical of Yamamoto and the IJN high command.

I started listening to the audiobook version of The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 by John Toland.  At 41 hours of audio, it should keep me occupied on night shifts for the next while.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 11, 2015, 10:09:32 PM
I started listening to the audiobook version of The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 by John Toland.  At 41 hours of audio, it should keep me occupied on night shifts for the next while.

Listening to this now as well when I run. Really enjoying it.

OJsDad

Hopefully, this time tomorrow I'll be reading Hell's Foundation Quiver.  The #8 book in David Weber's Safehold series. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 12, 2015, 05:51:32 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 11, 2015, 10:09:32 PM

Listening to this now as well when I run. Really enjoying it.

Me too.  My only gripe is that the narrator really should have been coached on the proper pronunciation of the Japanese used in the book.  He really butchers it.

manzikertca

Quote from: Gusington on March 05, 2012, 01:58:28 PM
I am reading China Marches West: The Qing Conquest of Central Eurasia. It focuses on the interaction of the Mongols, Russians and Qing Chinese from the16th century til the 18th century. It is rather academic but something about it is very addictive too, I can't get enough of it. Probably because I haven't read a lot of Chinese history. Great book.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/China-Marches-West-Conquest-Central/dp/0674057430/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330973795&sr=1-3
I have been interested in Chinese history myself,especially that connected with the great wall.Julia Lo..v.a.l.has written an historical account while others have concentrated on the purely military aspect and others on the cultural side of things.Seems the wall was never a single entity but a slow amalgamation that coalesced ,broke apart and again coalesced in a different form.

The Opium Wars by Julia L. is also I interesting in the aspect as to how those with an axe to grind have different versions,hers heavily resilient on contemporary British dispatches and minutes  of parliament more believable,especially when compared to that of the Chinese communist.

Sir Slash

Done with "Killing Reagan" and I'll give it a solid 7/10. Not as great as some of the other "Killing" books but very good with lots of stuff about Reagan's early days in Hollywood and anti-communist battles against the unions. Not so much about the Presidency though. A great read.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Can anyone give me a good ghost story to read post-haste? I'm reading a decent one now but it's kinda girlie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 12:00:27 PM
Can anyone give me a good ghost story to read post-haste? I'm reading a decent one now but it's kinda girlie.

Sir Slash

Just do what I do. Watch the Democratic debate. If Bernie isn't some kind of un-dead Zombie Spell-caster then I'll get new glasses. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Is that the Goosebumps with Bernie Sanders actually in it? Read that one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Found something called Festung Europa: The Anglo-American/Nazi War. It reads like a history tome and describes WWII resulting in the Germans winning at Stalingrad and defeating Russia (the first major divergence from real-world time is in 1941 when the author states that the Germans stockpiled mass quantities of winter clothing in the summer, assuming they'd need them for occupation duties). The war continues for a bit after 1945, with the Allies now realizing they need about 600 divisions to successfully invade Western Europe (having a 3:1 ratio to have any chance to succeed).

It's a pretty fascinating read so far. It tells of the Germans invoking a massive ship-building program, as well as other big projects, all fueled by war spoils, resources, and factories taken from the USSR. The book hints at the war continuing in the 50s but with obviously more advanced weapons. Looking forward to getting that far into it.

http://www.amazon.com/Festung-Europa-The-Anglo-American-Nazi-ebook/dp/B015URFGEC

Gusington

^Wow...that sounds fantastic.

No print version? :-[

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on October 14, 2015, 07:25:24 PM
^Wow...that sounds fantastic.

No print version? :-[

Doesn't look like it, Gus. Do you have an iPad or smartphone that can download a Kindle app?

Greybriar

I wanted to read something really different and decided upon Me, Katherine Hepburn's autobiography.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

That's kinda left field there Greybriar. Are you a big fan?

BC I don't have a tablet, my laptop is from 2005, and my phone is over 4 years old. Guess I am out of luck.

My gaming rig is damned sweet though :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd