What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

BanzaiCat

I totally gave up on Team Yankee again - I just can't do it.

Thinking of starting to read Snow Crash.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2015, 03:01:12 PM
I totally gave up on Team Yankee again - I just can't do it.

Thinking of starting to read Snow Crash.

Coyle's writing gets better a few books in. I went from Team Yankee right to The Ten Thousand, which I enjoyed a lot.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

The Martian. Pretty good so far.

Gusington

Just finished The Picts by Tim Clarkson which is a little dense and hard to follow as it is kind of academic...but still interesting. And now starting The Brooklyn Navy Yard by Thomas F. Berner, one of those Images of America books.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I did read The Ten Thousand some time ago. The premise was far out there but the story was well done.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2015, 07:28:06 PM
I did read The Ten Thousand some time ago. The premise was far out there but the story was well done.

Believe it or not Larry Bond actually wrote a book along similar lines. In his book the French and Germans were actually working together.  ???

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 22, 2015, 07:36:53 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2015, 07:28:06 PM

Believe it or not Larry Bond actually wrote a book along similar lines. In his book the French and Germans were actually working together.  ???

Yeah, those books were written back in the mid '90s when we were trying to figure out who our enemies would be after the Soviet Union collapsed. Lots of odd plotlines came out of that time; Germans, Germans and French, South Africans, Japanese...

Pinetree

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on November 22, 2015, 08:09:35 PM
Yeah, those books were written back in the mid '90s when we were trying to figure out who our enemies would be after the Soviet Union collapsed. Lots of odd plotlines came out of that time; Germans, Germans and French, South Africans, Japanese...
Hell, I think I even read all those. I think it's The Ten Thousand, Cauldron, Vortex, and War in 2020 respectively?
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Pinetree on November 23, 2015, 02:44:23 AM
Hell, I think I even read all those. I think it's The Ten Thousand, Cauldron, Vortex, and War in 2020 respectively?

Correct on all. You could throw in Debt of Honor for the Japanese, and some almost conflict with India in Executive Orders as well.

BanzaiCat

I remember War in 2020. I actually finished that one.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 23, 2015, 07:12:38 AM

Written by Ralph Peters. I can't recall now but was that the novel featuring the new 'Zero', a fifth-gen Japanese fighter? Or was that one of Clancy's books?

Pinetree

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on November 23, 2015, 06:43:05 AM
Quote from: Pinetree on November 23, 2015, 02:44:23 AM

Correct on all. You could throw in Debt of Honor for the Japanese, and some almost conflict with India in Executive Orders as well.
I'd forgotten about Debt of Honour,  it wasn't a bad book but in my view it was the start of his decline. I remember all the hoo-haa about the book after 9/11.

Pinetree

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 23, 2015, 07:12:38 AM
It's interesting comparing that book, which was written when the Cold War was ending, and The War After Armageddon.

BanzaiCat

Since I gave up on Team Yankee, I landed on In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect. Two chapters in so far and it's an interesting read, going into the history of the Secret Service (and what it was before it was the 'Secret Service'). Already talked about Kennedy's indiscretions in the White House and there's a lot of book left, so I'm interested in seeing what happens next.