What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I fell asleep during the foreplay. And you all know how I feel about foreplay. And WWI.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

October Men, by Anthony Price.
Price wrote at the same time as John LeCarre, and was not as well renowned.  I think most of that was pure snobbery.  No one can do opaque and confusing like LeCarre.
However, Price writes great spy stories that seem to be clear, when he pulls deep surprises and leaves you shocked and amazed.  His protagonist, David Audley, is also deeply interested in history, and many of the stories revolve around this. Which makes it great for wargamers who also like history.
October Men is great for the way a german business man double crosses the Stasi, the KGB, the british, and an international Italian oilman.  Yet he never appears because he died mysteriously before the book begins. 
And General Montori, the head of the Italian secret police, has a chance to settle a debt going back to World War II.
Just a great ride if you like spy fiction.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Greybriar

Hunting Hitler: New Scientific Evidence that Hitler Escaped Nazi Germany by Jerome R. Corsi
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

France at Bay 1870-1871: The Struggle for Paris by Douglas Fermer

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on December 03, 2015, 04:11:49 PM
Finally picked up my own copy of Red Storm Rising the other day.  Haven't read it forever, so I'm looking forward to this.

Found a mint hardback copy at a local thrift store a few years ago.   O0   One of my most-read books evah.  Prompted me to go pick up the old GDW Harpoon tabletop version back in my youngling days, so it spawned even more awesome.

8)

bbmike

Quote from: Greybriar on December 07, 2015, 02:27:37 PM
Hunting Hitler: New Scientific Evidence that Hitler Escaped Nazi Germany by Jerome R. Corsi

I didn't read it but did see the documentary.  ;D

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Man, it's amazing how much "Mr. Johnson" looks like David Tennant; and how much DT can act like him! I was getting some serious Ten flashbacks there...

Let us know if that book has anything interesting to compile and/or add to such theories, Greybriar!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

OJsDad

Starting 'Germany Ascendant'
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I went on a bit of a Kindle Book bender yesterday...bought The Victory that Wasn't, Project Return Fire, and Amerikan Eagle. All alternate history stuff.

Now, my "Recommended For You" section is full of books with swastikas on their covers... :(

Speaking of, I did try to read Mein Kampf once in college, for a paper I was writing, but I couldn't get through the first 20 pages. It was some seriously random rambling bullshit.

I finished the Secret Service book, which was pretty good, but depressing (the Secret Service is kind of messed up). I started reading Mustaine, an autobiography by the one and only Dave Mustaine of Metallica and Megadeth fame. It's a very good read so far and I'm only a couple of chapters in.

Gusington

I've read that Mustaine is a borderline genius/psychopath.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Finally finished Robert K. Massie's "Dreadnought" and enjoyed the book very much. The details behind the naval race and politics/diplomacy in pre-World War One Europe was fascinating.

Now back to his "Castles of Steel" which I let sit after one hundred pages when posters here suggested I read "Dreadnought" first. That advice was good. Thanks for it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

^Excellent! Castles of Steel is about 880 pages IIRC so...enjoy!

And read Massie's Peter the Great when you get the chance.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pinetree

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 11, 2015, 02:44:08 PM
I went on a bit of a Kindle Book bender yesterday...bought The Victory that Wasn't, Project Return Fire, and Amerikan Eagle. All alternate history stuff.

Have you tried Festung Europa: The Anglo-American/Nazi War? WWII carries onto 1959. Written as a history, it was actually pretty good. It started out as a thread on an alternate history forum.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Pinetree on December 11, 2015, 07:36:47 PM
you tried Festung Europa: The Anglo-American/Nazi War? WWII carries onto 1959. Written as a history, it was actually pretty good. It started out as a thread on an alternate history forum.

Yup. I've been reading that, too.  O0

Though I've been going back and forth to it, because it looks like whomever wrote it didn't bother with an editor. There's tons of punctuation, spelling, and other errors that really ruin the story for me, and are quite frankly unforgivable in a published/for sale work, which is otherwise very well done.