What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Chapter 1 of the thriller Boomer just creeps me the F out. A 688 has been talked into taking out 2 of their own boomers. How could a retired navy man write such a thing ? argh.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Toonces

@ Gus,
I haven't read enough to tell you if the book holds throughout, but I'm about 30% in and enjoying it well enough.  I think, given your interest in the subject, you should give the skim a try.  Like I said before, once you get to the shooting it's more interesting. 

I got distracted by Tides of War (which is very, very good) so Guns of August is shelved for the time being. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

My OCD prevents me from behaving in such a manner. I have been interested in Tides of War forever too and have the Wrath of Sparta buried around here somewhere.

For now I am still into Victorian era/Edwardian era/WWI stuff and will be playing Shogun 2 FOTS and attempting again to master Wings Over Flanders Fields - got some great reading to go along with those games.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

I've just started a re-read of all 20 Patrick O'Brian books. I love 'em.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on December 21, 2015, 05:30:15 PM
I got distracted by Tides of War (which is very, very good)
Glad you're enjoying it so much, Commander.  I know I've long championed that book (it's one of those that gets a re-read from me once every/every other year); glad to see it's resonating with you as well.  O0 

Quote from: bob48 on December 21, 2015, 06:00:43 PM
Now there's a series on my to-do list that I still have to get to. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

besilarius

Bawb, if you haven't read it before, Eyes of the Fleet, by Anthony Price is a great look at frigate captains.
And he lives in your neck of the woods.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Airborne Rifles

I'm coming to the end of this series! Reading Wine Dark Sea right now.

Sir Slash

Eden To Armageddon: World War I in the Middle East by Roger Ford for the second time. Great book. Don't know what's up next.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Love 'em.  I've read them all twice and listened to the audiobooks on long flights.  Have you read the unfinished 21st novel?  It's decent.  Makes me want to play Sails of Glory or Privateers and Gentlemen every time I read them.

bob48

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 21, 2015, 10:58:01 PM

Love 'em.  I've read them all twice and listened to the audiobooks on long flights.  Have you read the unfinished 21st novel?  It's decent.  Makes me want to play Sails of Glory or Privateers and Gentlemen every time I read them.

I think this is my 4th reading of the series - it just never grows old - and yes, I have the unfinished 21st book.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

What is the first book in the series?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

Just bought I, Jedi. I've always wanted to read it and seeing the new movie motivated me to buy it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Martok

Quote from: bbmike on December 22, 2015, 08:59:42 AM
Just bought I, Jedi. I've always wanted to read it and seeing the new movie motivated me to buy it.
Awesome!  Hope you enjoy it, bbmike

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bob48 on December 22, 2015, 09:04:25 AM
Quote from: Gusington on December 22, 2015, 08:58:49 AM
What is the first book in the series?

Master and Commander.

Isn't that the second book? I only have a 3 book set. M&C was the second book.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598