What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Quote from: Martok on January 22, 2016, 02:31:36 PM
Can Terms of Enlistment be read as a standalone piece?  I enjoy my military sci-fi, but have no desire to get caught up in a series that isn't finished yet.

I really enjoyed the Odyssey One series, which wraps up the story in 4 books but sets the stage for the next set of books.

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Black-Remastered-Edition-Odyssey-ebook/dp/B005ML0EZS
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

I've only read the first Terms of Enlistment but I immediately wanted another when I was done. Book 4 comes out in the spring.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Hmm.  Sounds like I need to wait til sometime after this spring then.  Thanks fellas.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^As far as I know there is no set available. But there never really is when you want one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

There's a Kindle set available for the first 3 books.  I think it's called the Frontlines series.

Gusington

Nice. Don't think there's one in print though...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

I just finished reading the Warstrider series by Ian Douglas (aka William H Keith Jr). Good military scifi with interesting characters, a strong Japanese cultural flavor, and a mix of mech-type ground combat and space combat. There are 7 books in the series and the final book wraps up all plotlines. Recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLHOTFS/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 22, 2016, 08:36:09 PM
There's a Kindle set available for the first 3 books.  I think it's called the Frontlines series.

Yup.

I don't like buying book series in general, though. I might just pick up the first one and see how it goes.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on January 22, 2016, 08:30:40 AM
Slash I just spit my corn flakes all over the place, thanks.

Steelie some reviews said the third book is kinda dull and can be totally skipped over...4th book to be released in April IIRC.

Gus, I just finished the third book and all I can say is any negative reviews are horse manure. The book was excellent. Hell, all three were excellent and this is hands down my new favorite military sci/fi series. The third novel brings the series to a reasonable finish if the author had so chosen, no cliffhangers, but there is plenty of room to explore future possibilities and I'm glad he's decided to write more. And in the "put my money where my mouth is", I pre-ordered the fourth book.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

vyshka

I've been going a bit nuts with reading since around Thanksgiving:

The End of All Things, and Lock In by John Scalzi
The Gods of Risk, The Churn, The Vital Abyss, Abaddon's Gate, and Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey
Merlin's Gun, Troika, and House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming by Peter Seibel
Dealers of Lightning: Xerox Parc and the Dawn of the Computer Age by Michael Hiltzik
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
The Supermen: The Story of Seymour Cray and the Technical Wizards behind the Supercomputer by Charles Murray

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on January 22, 2016, 06:33:35 PM
^As far as I know there is no set available. But there never really is when you want one.
Eh.  A set would be nice, sure, but it's certainly not necessary.  I'll probably end up copying Banzai_Cat and get just the first book to start with anyway. 

Quote from: vyshka on January 23, 2016, 09:04:46 PM
I've been going a bit nuts with reading since around Thanksgiving:

The End of All Things, and Lock In by John Scalzi
The Gods of Risk, The Churn, The Vital Abyss, Abaddon's Gate, and Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey
Merlin's Gun, Troika, and House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming by Peter Seibel
Dealers of Lightning: Xerox Parc and the Dawn of the Computer Age by Michael Hiltzik
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
The Supermen: The Story of Seymour Cray and the Technical Wizards behind the Supercomputer by Charles Murray

Damn, vyshka, you must be a beast when it comes to reading!  :o  In that same amount of time, I would probably only just now be finishing up Seveneves.  Stephenson's works make for some...dense reading. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Martin do you have an e-reader? I was wrong and there is a digital Terms of Enlistment set available as posted above.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just started The Tomorrow War by J.L. Bourne.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Just starting:

The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll

&

John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy by Evan Thomas

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus