What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Just started, " The Most Dangerous Moment of the War-- Japan's Attack on the Indian Ocean in 1942". By John Clancy-- no kin to Tom. I must be getting old but I swear when I ordered this book I thought it had more than 186 pages. So I'll be finished about this time tomorrow.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 16, 2016, 08:51:16 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 16, 2016, 08:47:16 AM
Granted, there's some real crap out there that makes Larry Bond and Harry Turtledove look like first-rate writers.

This is the truth. I may not be a fan of Larry Bond, but he's well above average for the genre.  If find most stuff in the techno-thriller genre completely unreadable. Bond is somewhat readable.

Yeah, he's really not all that bad, though I read more of Coyle's books (The Ten Thousand, Bright Star, Sword Point, and Trial by Fire come immediately to mind). Coyle wasn't bad at all.

Goodness knows that Clancy could be downright dull at times, too. Several of his books I just couldn't get into, the most egregious of which was The Hunt for Red October. I know, I know...thing is, the first of his books I read was Red Storm Rising, so Hunt was something of a downer after reading the constant action in RSR. Hunt actually bored the hell out of me. Might be a different story today if I try it, who knows.

And Harry Turtledove can suck it. How a guy can be so prolific and have decent ideas just write some of the most boring characters and worlds imaginable mystifies me.

mirth

I read Hunt for Red October when I was in high school and absolutely loved it. I'm kind of a sucker for the technical stuff and Clancy did it as well as anyone. He definitely wasn't perfect as an author and some of his later books are a real slog. However, nothing in the genre can compete with RSR. I've probably read that book 20-plus times. I can recall entire passages word-for-word.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on February 18, 2016, 09:21:26 AM
I read Hunt for Red October when I was in high school and absolutely loved it. I'm kind of a sucker for the technical stuff and Clancy did it as well as anyone. He definitely wasn't perfect as an author and some of his later books are a real slog. However, nothing in the genre can compete with RSR. I've probably read that book 20-plus times. I can recall entire passages word-for-word.

Yep.

vyshka

Finished up The Innovators and quickly read Jim Butcher's first Dresden Files book Storm Front. Currently reading his 2nd book Fool Moon, and Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice. Waiting to be read is The 3-Body Problem by Cixin Liu.

JudgeDredd

I'm currently reading Red Storm Rising for the second time
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

The Whiskey Rebellion: George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and the Frontier Rebels Who Challenged America's Newfound Sovereignty by William Hogeland

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

About to start Lines of Departure by Marko Kloos.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 21, 2016, 11:33:54 AM
^Ooh is that new?

2005 I think. I found it at the library. I've never really read much about the Whiskey Rebellion even though I find it fascinating. Such a use of Federal force coming right on the heels of the Revolution. Very curious and interesting.

Gusington

And George Washington putting the Presidency aside to deploy himself!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

He wasn't exactly thrilled about that.

Did you know that 'Light Horse' Lee was there too? Virginians invading Pennsylvania, who'd thunk it?!

Airborne Rifles

Reading Command and Control: Nuclear weapons, the Damascus accident, and the illusion of safety by Eric Schlosser. All about the close calls, mismanagement, and disasters that have occurred in the US nuclear weapons program. Scary stuff!

Gusington

Anything on EMPs in there? I'm going to read Ted Koeppel's book on the subject soon...it's all the rage here at work.

So mirth - Washington was all pissed that he had to go out into the saddle again and kick ass?

Or was it more of a moral dilemma...putting down a rebellion of fellow 'Muricans?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd