What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Will do. I'm only a short ways in. So far, so good.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

He's a great author...I pre-ordered that title. Just haven't been in a world war mood in a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2016, 08:00:27 PM
He's a great author...I pre-ordered that title. Just haven't been in a world war mood in a while.

I hear ya. I like the scope on this one though, tying together both wars, the interwar period and the start of the Cold War. And he's going to do a second volume covering the rest of the 20th Century.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on October 25, 2016, 02:29:55 PM
Coincidentally, I just received an email from B&N a few days ago notifying me that the tenth book, The Flame Bearer, is due to be released at the end of November.  Giggity!  :D

The next book for David Weber's Honorverse Series, 'Shadow of Victory', is coming out 1 Nov and his next book in his Safehold series, 'At the Sign of Triumph', comes at a week later on 8 Nov.  It's going to be a busy November for you Martok. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

OJsDad

Started Shadow of Victory.  The last book in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Quote from: OJsDad on November 01, 2016, 07:44:22 PM
Started Shadow of Victory.  The last book in the Honor Harrington series by David Weber.

Uh, last.. or latest...?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

WallysWorld

Finished V.M. Keats' "Winged Victory": a very good semi-autobiographical book about aerial combat in World War One. Highlights the excitement, terror, comradeship and even sometimes boredom of being a fighter pilot in the RFC. The book reminded me a lot of the 1976  movie "Aces High" which I really like.

Just started "A Brief History of the Roman Empire: Rise and Fall" by Stephen Kershaw.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 01, 2016, 08:32:00 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on November 01, 2016, 07:44:22 PM

Uh, last.. or latest...?

Yes, the latest.  Though it's my understanding that it's last of the Shadow story line. 

Pinetree

I've started the first book in the freebie Four Years War Star Trek novel series. It's been pretty good so far, the writing's not bad and it's set in the background established by FASA for the STRPG which has always been my favourite ST setting.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Martok

Quote from: OJsDad on October 27, 2016, 08:17:53 PM
Coincidentally, I just received an email from B&N a few days ago notifying me that the tenth book, The Flame Bearer, is due to be released at the end of November.  Giggity!  :D

The next book for David Weber's Honorverse Series, 'Shadow of Victory', is coming out 1 Nov and his next book in his Safehold series, 'At the Sign of Triumph', comes at a week later on 8 Nov.  It's going to be a busy November for you Martok.
Oy!  I was not aware of that.  :o  Thanks for the heads-up, OJsDad

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Quote from: Martok on November 02, 2016, 01:12:04 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on October 27, 2016, 08:17:53 PM

Oy!  I was not aware of that.  :o  Thanks for the heads-up, OJsDad!

Your welcome.  You should see some of the snippets Weber's post on his web site for ATST.  The one is absolutely mouth watering. 

Martok

Gah!  Stop teasing me!  Must get through the Saxon books first! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces