What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Hastings' Armageddon was equally tough, but equally brilliant.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Highly recommended. Along with his Retribution which covers the end of the war in Japan.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

I don't think I have read any of Hastings books at all.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: mirth on March 18, 2017, 02:12:49 PM
Highly recommended. Along with his Retribution which covers the end of the war in Japan.

I've read both Armageddon and Retribution, and would recommend both.

I visited Japan last Fall.  The first base I stayed at was NAF Atsugi, which is where the first US forces landed in Japan after the surrender.  The description of that event in Retribution was pretty interesting.  After being locked in total war for four years, it would have taken a bit of courage to be the first plane to land in the middle of mainland Japan.

Sir Slash

My Father was in the Navy in WW II on a destroyer. His ship was one of the first to sail into Tokyo Bay ahead of the USS Missouri. The Japanese were told to fly black flags from all their gun emplacements and I remember well him saying, in his best Navy-like voice, all the black flags looked like fleas on a dogs ass. I think that means there were a lot though I'm not an expert on dog asses or fleas. Glad it wasn't my job-- the whole 'first-in' business.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pinetree

Quote from: Gusington on March 18, 2017, 05:01:59 PM
His Overlord book is brilliant as well.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Airborne Rifles

Speaking of the end of the war with Japan, I'm just finishing up Hornfischer's The Fleet at Flood Tide. He wrote Neptune's Inferno, Ship of Ghosts, and Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors , and this one is up to the standards of those excellent books. It covers the Marianas campaign and the decision to drop the atomic bomb, and how the two were linked.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on March 19, 2017, 08:31:30 PM
It covers the Marianas campaign and the decision to drop the atomic bomb, and how the two were linked.

I have not (yet) read the book and I can already guess at one possible link... involving the letter 'K'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Pinetree on March 19, 2017, 06:03:47 PM

Agreed. The best book I've read on the Normandy campaign.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on March 19, 2017, 08:31:30 PM
Speaking of the end of the war with Japan, I'm just finishing up Hornfischer's The Fleet at Flood Tide.

Outstanding book. Hornfischer is an excellent writer.

bob48

Quote from: mirth on March 20, 2017, 08:41:16 AM

Whilst 'Overlord' is good, I thought that 'Decision in Normandy' by D'Este was better.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on March 20, 2017, 10:11:53 AM
Quote from: mirth on March 20, 2017, 08:41:16 AM

Whilst 'Overlord' is good, I thought that 'Decision in Normandy' by D'Este was better.

Decision in Normandy is also excellent. Rating one over the other comes down to a matter of personal preference.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

airboy

I finished Lord's book on the coastwatchers in the Solomons.