What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I'll take that trip for you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Go for it. We were planning to camp just outside the Lot.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Tell Susan to wear a nice dress.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

If I were a vampire I wouldn't go to Maine. I would hang-out at South Beach, Miami where you would look and act like everybody else there. Maybe it's not exciting enough for them.  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

Night Shift is pretty damn good reading.  I just read it about 6 or 8 months ago for like the third time.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on October 11, 2017, 08:11:07 AM
Well, I'm done with the vampires of Southern Maine. I will be canceling that weekend hiking trip I had planned.

To extra-cancel that hike, I can recommend for the Halloween season Rusty Wilson's collections of Bigfoot short stories. I assume most or all are fictional, but he knows how to set up a bunch of different narratives with behaviors broadly typical of encounter stories. (Actually, his one definitely fictional novel about Bigfoot is much more clumsy and amateur and obviously fake than his short stories, so there's that. And I'm including comparison to such things as his story of a Bigfoot caught in a tsunami up around Alaska! -- that story was amazing. The novel, not so much.) I'm thinking of burning through them again this month myself.

Note if anyone goes shopping for them, that some of his books are handy collections of other books. Which is helpful because the shorter collections are priced a bit disproportionately high for their amount of content.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Having read the first half, that is the year 1941, of the "Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1941-1942", and which I've enjoyed immensively because of the  :nerd: that I am , I got sidetracked and started on Amiran Ezov's recently translated (from Hebrew) "Crossing", which details the crossing of the Suez in '73.

As it was advertised to me, it is supposedly a really good read into the events and the OOB of the crossing to "Africa".

First few chapters done, this is certainly written on a more personal level (yet at the operational level), than what I've read about this so far.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bbmike

Finished The Day of the Triffids. Good, classic post apoc stuff. I really doubt the movie from the 60's follows the book but might have to find it and watch it now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

The movie is campy sci-fi fun  O0

Barthheart

mirth

Barthheart

yeah, it really is a good book.