What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Operation Barbarossa by Alan Clark and War Without Garlands by Robert Kershaw.

Tripoli

Quote from: besilarius on December 24, 2019, 08:11:17 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on Yesterday at 05:38:06 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on Yesterday at 02:07:03 PM

I've started Tau Zero by Poul Anderson.  Not bad so far, very nice prose.

If you like interstellar spies and space opera, the Dominic Flandry series is very engaging.  (his persona of Captain Ahab Whaling is a hoot.)

The Dominic Flandry series is great.  It is one of the few science fiction book(s) I've kept since my youth.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

nelmsm

Finally got through the Napoleon book and started on Gettysburg: The Last Invasion by Allen Guelzo   

Toonces

The First Team books are awesome; I've read both of them a couple of times.  It's like you're raiding my library, Tripoli!

For my birthday a few days ago my father in law gave me a complete first edition of Churchill's Second World War series.  Stoked!  I just started The Gathering Storm, but I'm only reading bits of it as I finish up Catton.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

Yeah, I'll be getting to the Churchy WW2 books, too -- someday. Next year. They're in my collection already, just waiting.

I was not much of a fan of the "Gathering Storm" miniseries adaptation, which I have over in my DVD collection, but I fully expect it to be a lot better than that.  ::)

Trodding steadily now through Vol 3 of his History of the English Speaking Peoples, "The Age of Revolution". Runs from the reign of William III (aka William of Orange) through Napoleon; since I'm not reading multiple books concurrently right now, progress is progressing! Just started the reign of Queen Anne (William's daughter), and the zenith of the Duke of Marlborough (aka John Churchill, iirc. He's a Churchill anyway, as Churchill casually reminds his reader on occasion. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Currently reading Brooklyn: The Once and Future City by Thomas J. Campanella.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Every Grog who reads this thread, there is good news!
It means you read books, and this lowers the chance of developing Alzheimers.

https://www.mic.com/articles/99408/science-has-great-news-for-people-who-read-actual-books
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Nice. I'll live to 100 and enjoy some of it!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Actually that article was mainly about how e-books are inferior, brain development wise, to real books.  But in my case at least, that's tough shit.  If it weren't for the Kindle app on my phone I'd barely read at all; it's way more convenient than a real book, so although ideally I'd prefer to "keep it real", I'll take using my phone over not reading at all.

Huw the Poo

Well I'm struggling with Tau Zero.  I absolutely hate the characters and also the way they're written.  Absolutely not believable in the slightest, and I can only assume the author wasn't getting any when he wrote this book, because it's all the characters seem to think about.

At least it's short; I'm already 42% through it despite barely touching it, so I guess I'll go the distance and see if the second half can change my mind.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: besilarius on January 05, 2020, 06:23:04 PM
Every Grog who reads this thread, there is good news!
It means you read books, and this lowers the chance of developing Alzheimers.

https://www.mic.com/articles/99408/science-has-great-news-for-people-who-read-actual-books

Hope this is something that can be banked, as I read like a mofo up until my mid 20s.

Gusington

How old are you now?

Currently reading Brooklyn: The Once and Future City by Thomas Campanella. Got it as a Christmas gift - 100 pages in and it is great.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Gusington on January 07, 2020, 01:20:32 PM
How old are you now?

Mid 40s.  Probably have used up all my "savings," by now, I'd guess.  Dang.  :-[

twitter3

Currently reading Valley Thunder: The Battle of New Market and the Opening of the Shenandoah Campaign, May 1864 by Charles Knight. I am visiting there in two weeks and like to have an understanding of what I am about see.

https://www.amazon.com/Valley-Thunder-Opening-Shenandoah-Campaign/dp/1932714804

Tripoli

The US Army publishes some good guides and walking tours of various USCW battlefields.  Here's the one on New Market:
https://history.army.mil/html/books/070/70-24/cmhPub_70-24.pdf
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln